mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 am 

I own 110JTO, a July 1960 cherry red Morris Mini Minor Deluxe which is completely standard and quite original except for the engine and twin shoe brake 'upgrade' equipped with non spaced minifins.

The 1132cc engine replaced the non original clapped out 848cc, and makes the car so much more driveable with 47bhp and 61lbft torque. Its been coupled to a 1128 4 synchro box and retains the straight wand stick. The exhaust, carb, HS2 and all engine ancillaries remain standard, although the air box has a K&N filter and ignition is via an H&H electronic positive earth kit in the DM2 dizzy. The mini is equipped with riveted wheels with correct square hole trims and running 145 blockleys all round. With the original interior, to the outside world it appears pretty standard.

Here's the dilemma (finally i hear you cry!) - I want a modified MK1 mini! i love Tim's DPU, so something along those lines (sadly having just built a mk3 at quite some cost i'm not able to meet Tim's asking price and i don't think selling JTO would achieve enough?)

Is it wrong to modify a good 1960 standard looking car in pursuit of my latest whim?

Should i sell it to someone who would appreciate an early car?

Ultimately it's mine and I can do what I want I guess, but your thoughts and opinions would be welcomed and appreciated.

I'm parade lapping at the revival which isn't going to help my 'itch' either!

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:15 am 

I had a complete numbers matching CKD Irish 1960 Austin needing restoration and I sold it as I didn't want to modify it.Bought a stripped out 66 and as its a blank canvas I hope to add lots of period touches to it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:16 pm 

:) Do with it what ever you like, it's your Mini :!:
But please not with 13" wheels and Sportspack :roll:

Kees

Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:40 pm 

Had a conversation with the Mrs along these lines recently, right after I posted a link in on here to a '59 project that' on 'carandclassic', she said we should buy it and get it restored to original spec and I said if I bought it I wouldn't be able to stop myself from modifying it in some way. As nice as a factory fresh '59 undoubtedly is, I see all classic Minis as blank canvases, when people bought them new many were upgraded and mucked about with, with various results, it's just the way some people are with cars whether they're enthusiasts or not. The Mrs' best friend's parents bought a brand new Austin Seven 850 in 1960 and kept it until 1989, modifying and upgrading it though the years with various add ons and go faster bits, getting it through the MOT each year being and making it more comfortable to drive being the main priorities. It was pretty much a nail by the time they scrapped it, but it oozed character and charm with its worn light blue paintwork, Mk2 Cosmics and sheepskin seat covers.

You could always do things to it that aren't reversible... ;)

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:44 pm 

As said do whatever you want with and enjoy the car yourself, there is no guarantee that a new owner will even look after it, in my experience after selling a few classic Minis the car often turns up a few years later on sale in a neglected state and in need of another restoration!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:57 pm 

I rebuilt / restored ?? a 1960 Mini into a Hillclimb car, for no other reason than i wanted a strong shell that I didnt need to weld, but ... i have tried to keep the 1960 elements of the car, which I suppose could be put back to standard, i'd never like to see that !, i'd always say you do with it as you wish !

I've already put a Radford back to a normal (??) 1071 and turned 2 Cooper S's into rally cars, so probably the wrong man to comment :lol: :lol:

1970 Mini Historic Rally DJJ266H

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:58 pm 

billycooper wrote:
I rebuilt / restored ?? a 1960 Mini into a Hillclimb car, for no other reason than i wanted a strong shell that I didnt need to weld, but ... i have tried to keep the 1960 elements of the car, which I suppose could be put back to standard, i'd never like to see that !, i'd always say you do with it as you wish !

I've already put a Radford back to a normal (??) 1071 and turned 2 Cooper S's into rally cars, so probably the wrong man to comment :lol: :lol:

oh and then If you dont modify yours .. try finding another car with a good shell thats not been messed with !

and i dont think any ones ever said to me "why have you done that to a 1960 car !"

1970 Mini Historic Rally DJJ266H

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Modify it, there are plenty of box fresh restored examples of the breed. Dare to do something different.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:33 pm 

Im in a similar position with a standard morris 850 SD in Maroon. I often start by thinking another colour would make it stand out more, something prettier like surf blue or fiesta yellow or any of the cooper colours really. And i love the aesthetic of the ApK racers but i do have a later cooper heavily modified with cage, 1380 but classic looks on 4.5x10 minilites.

Nice example of a modded car, member on here i believe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfLcaZrbe0

I just cant help feeling though, if a car has survived this long in fairly standard trim then it is just wrong to rip all that originality apart. Better off finding a much less original car as a basis. When I say wrong, i dont mean against some sort of 'mini law' or outcry but might leave you with a sense of regret, a sense of destruction. I think with every modification you might gain something but loose something somewhere else. I enjoy driving my 850 with all that charm far more than my 1380 screamer.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:43 pm 

I *think* something like one and a half million Mk1 saloons were built all told, all looking pretty much the same to a degree when they left Longbridge or Cowley, so modifying one the way you want to is no big deal, however many are left now. After far too much prevarication looking at other cars for nigh on two years I'm coming round (again) to wanting another Mk1 or Mk2 with the aim of turning it in my idea of the perfect '60s Mini - probably equal parts factory spec / Cooperised / coachbuilt / café racer, so I have no qualms about hacking into a good shell to bung a 'sticking plaster' Webasto sunroof in, or even deseaming it if that takes my fancy.

It's only a car... :D

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S