mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:52 pm 

Yes it is Paul Hopkinson. Do you know him?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:28 pm 

I know of him, used to work for an engineering firm in Western Road in Bracknell. Premier Precision I believe? Had my first holiday job there around 1980.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:47 pm 

I have had 1 Minijem and 2 Mini Marcos. The Jem came as a bit of a wreck with an 850 engine which was seized. The first task was a complete rewire. I recall lying in the back under the fixed rear window, attaching lives and earths to the rear lamps. Everything needed its own earth as the body was fibreglass. We then moved onto interior, brakes etc. and then built an 1100 engine for it. I had it resprayed in a nice red and added some 6" Cosmics to it. One thing we had to deal with was to put a bulge in the bonnet for the master cylinder pipes. Even using banjos and bolts, the things touched the bonnet. Somewhere I have photos of it. I might even have before and after ones. After selling it I ran across Bob Stevens of the Jem register. He told me that the next owner had fitted a 1275 and had then crashed and written off the car. Sad end really.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:30 pm 

nick rogers wrote:
I have had 1 Minijem and 2 Mini Marcos. The Jem came as a bit of a wreck with an 850 engine which was seized. The first task was a complete rewire. I recall lying in the back under the fixed rear window, attaching lives and earths to the rear lamps. Everything needed its own earth as the body was fibreglass. We then moved onto interior, brakes etc. and then built an 1100 engine for it. I had it resprayed in a nice red and added some 6" Cosmics to it. One thing we had to deal with was to put a bulge in the bonnet for the master cylinder pipes. Even using banjos and bolts, the things touched the bonnet. Somewhere I have photos of it. I might even have before and after ones. After selling it I ran across Bob Stevens of the Jem register. He told me that the next owner had fitted a 1275 and had then crashed and written off the car. Sad end really.

Nick there as never been an issue with the master cylinder pipes clearing the bonnet on any Jem , I have a mk1 and a mk2 at the moment both built up from bare shells ,you just have to put tight bend on the pipes as soon as they come out of the top master cylinders , mine have banjo's fitted though to make it even easier , I just measured the clearance and its 30 mm with banjo's fitted, but what did hit the bonnet was the filler cap on the rocker box , especially if you have the closed breather type and if it's the taller 1275 block , they made a wider bulge on the later mk2 and 3 Jems , when I did my wiring or have to do any work on back lights , I remove the back window in a couple of minutes and it only takes ten more to put it back , my MK1 as an automatic subframe that I fitted so I could get the engine a few mm lower for better clearance , fitted thinner packing plates , another issue with the Jems is the steel components fitted at the pick up points , they all rust away including the steel complete bulkhead and the inner wheel arches to carry the shockers , easy enough to replace BUT a dirty filthy job grinding the fibreglass away unless you have a space suit :lol: ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:57 pm 

An S master would clip then?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:18 am 

Dr S wrote:
An S master would clip then?

NO Dr S , both mine have S master cylinders , how I measured it the other day was i put some plasticine on top of the banjo and fitted the bonnet , there was 30mm clearance ;) .

Goff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:00 am 

Anyway, S masters are the same height as non-S. It's only the reservoir that is taller.
Goff, maybe my bonnet was a poor shape. There was definitely contact with the banjo bolts. Whatever it was, I didn't have any problem with the Marcos's, although one was just a body shell I bought at Newark auto jumble.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:15 am 

Attachment:
IMG_7399.jpg

Here is a 'before 'picture. Still looking for the 'after'.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:06 pm 

nick rogers wrote:
Attachment:
IMG_7399.jpg

Here is a 'before 'picture. Still looking for the 'after'.

Nick was it registered correct - meaning , Fellpoint , Mini Jem ??? , A lot of kit cars were registered as same as the donor car , bit of a problem getting them MOT'd , so they say , If it pop's up as a Riley Elf ??? MOT man say's that aint a Riley and turns it away ????. Both mine are OK , so i guess the 40 years MOT will come in handy for somefolk :lol: :lol: :lol: ,
Found the after photo yet ,
i bought a Mini Marcos from the Gleadless area of Sheffield around 1975/1976 from a student who had crashed it , about £135 , built from a 1071S , i broke it for parts and sold them on :( :( :( , the body went to Worksop , never seen it since , I did not have any interest in cars whatsoever , well keeping them , looked at a mini Jem about 1981 , nothing special engine wise , it was a MK1 with full interia which was quite rare for a MK1 , sure it was a factory built car , but it had a cracked windscreen so a gave it a miss .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:19 am 

I can't recall what it said on the logbook but I got it MOT'd OK. This one came from Thorpe Hesley. I don't remember one in Gleadless but I was not a huge fan of them. I was far more interested in the Marcos GT back then so was glad to finally get my hands on one with a 3L engine and wood chassis. Still have it.