mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Brighton
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:17 pm 

Went to the London Brighton mini run . Had a good day , met a few people off the forum ... Brighton now makes jaywick look like Las Vegas . What a absolute crap hole it's become . I wasn't the only person remarking on the state of the sea front and Brighton itself . It must be the graffiti capital of Europe. ... ken

1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s

Post subject: Re: Brighton
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:31 am 

swifty wrote:
Went to the London Brighton mini run . Had a good day , met a few people off the forum ... Brighton now makes jaywick look like Las Vegas . What a absolute crap hole it's become . I wasn't the only person remarking on the state of the sea front and Brighton itself . It must be the graffiti capital of Europe. ... ken

Brighton is a bit of a curate's egg; good in parts. There are some very deprived areas and like most seaside towns (it's actually a city now) it seems to attract the homeless for some reason.

It's a great shame about the seafront and the promenade but basically it's life expired and there's no money to fix it. Probably a good case for some EEC or lottery funding if they got their act together...

It's also not very car friendly with 20mph limits and expensive parking, plus they're digging a lot of it up at the moment making the traffic even worse than usual!

Personally I'm not that keen on the very linear layout of Madeira Drive either and the fact they've had to fence off some of fhe more unstable parts of the promenade makes that worse as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:46 am 

:roll: Any pictures taken :?:

Kees.

Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:11 am 

I think it's time for the L2B to move to another venue - racecourse or one of the parks. Seafront traffic is beyond a joke at the best of times, and the event coinciding with Brighton festival really doesn't help. The arches being fenced off has left too little room and I can't see them being repaired any time soon!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:39 am 

IslandBlue wrote:
swifty wrote:
<snip>
It's a great shame about the seafront and the promenade but basically it's life expired and there's no money to fix it. Probably a good case for some EEC or lottery funding if they got their act together...

It's also not very car friendly with 20mph limits and expensive parking, plus they're digging a lot of it up at the moment making the traffic even worse than usual!

Personally I'm not that keen on the very linear layout of Madeira Drive either and the fact they've had to fence off some of fhe more unstable parts of the promenade makes that worse as well.

Agree the seafront has been a s*it-tip for some time. Given the colour of the council in recent years though suspect the fundamental problem has been the diversion of funds to other 'pet' politically driven projects, which has led to the neglect of regular routine maintenance of the core infrastructure. In the end it can be declared 'life expired', when in truth it's a bit like my 100+ year old sash windows - they've lasted this long and by looking after them they will go on and on... Rot (and to quote Neil Young) Rust never sleeps. Keep them in check and it's much cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by dodge44 on Tue May 21, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:06 pm 

Its patina.

I love it - leave it alone.... :D

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:35 pm 

The first London to Brighton Mini Run started in Battersea Park and finished in Preston Park, Brighton......but there was not 2000+ Minis to get parked up at each end! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:46 pm 

They still get those sort of numbers? I have not been in decades. Seafront is too small for that, and the drive in through the centre is a ball ache.
Nice city though. Some of my favourite music venues along the front there.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:06 pm 

I went a few times. Last time in 2012. What a drag. The ride down there was fun until we hit Brighton.
To be fair it used to be a pretty cool place . I went twice in the last few years and as Swifty says it is outgunned by Jaywick.
Never again!! Really looking forward to Beaulieu. Great day out. Just struggle to spell it

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:22 pm 

ChrisM wrote:
They still get those sort of numbers?

Yes it is still a popular event with approx 2100 Minis allocated official parking on Madeira Drive, LSMOC members & other Mini clubs get advance tickets and in January the remaining 1300 tickets were sold out on the day via the sponsors Minispares website. The waiting list for those that didn't get tickets went to over 200 this year (usually around 40-50). The LSMOC estimate around 400-500 'unofficial' Minis & MINI's also do the run or use public car parking in and around Brighton.