mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:18 pm 

Yes please

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:38 pm 

Attachment:
aaa.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:01 pm 

The protractor appears to show the cone angle at 30 degrees - unless that's something to do with the camera/photo. Just checked a couple of odd hydro bits here on my lathe cross head and they all show 45 degrees. Not something to loose sleep about I agree because so long as there is full leakfree contact, that's all that counts

I recall a 3-way discussion re the hydro end fitting, wondering if a simple brass or steel well fitting threaded sleeve couldn't be soft soldered onto the output nozzle of the hydro unit, as shown. Made from, say, 5/8" AF hex bar with a hex part at the base to aid tightening the new hose part. Soft solder or even an industrial grade 2 part adhesive.

Water in the bottom part of the bowl to prevent heat (only the melting point of soft solder don';t forget so hardly a problem I'd say) contaminating the rubber diaphragm and away you go. Simple. Makes you wonder why they didn't do it this way to start with.
An alternative thought was and adaptor fixed to the nozzle using compression fittings. After all, compression fittings are in regular use in machinery hydraulics and tank elevating mechanisms

Do you remember this discussion with the US based forumer Spider Chris?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:18 pm 

Got the metric one today, similar to the one Andrew suggested. The thread is a good fit, better than the BSP, but not as good as the original. However the cone is still the problem, it's not a cone. It probably would seal, but only over a very small area. I'm wondering if I can get a JIC fitting and remove the UNF nut component(correct thread) and put it on a BSP cone(correct cone). If other aspects are compatible then I don't see why not. The original cone, at least from my hydro bags, is 30° but I think they refer to it as 60°, which is the BSP size.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:25 pm 

At some point I will be looking into whether I can get a suitable ferrule to utilise the original coned insert, along with a new outer nut.

You are correct in that the seating surface area is quite small with the hose end I mention, and I believe is used but the rehosing outfit but it is enough to provide a good seal for the pressures involved.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:52 pm 

I’ve rescued the cone to seat seal by just lapping them in with grinding paste. It worked fine where I had a corroded seating. I don’t see why you couldn’t use this on new bits to widen the seat a little.

D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:37 am 

In case it helps here's the hose section of the BMC Australia displacer engineering drawing.

Attachment:
AYA4090 Hydrolastic Spring Unit Assembly Hose End.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 am 

That's really interesting, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:16 am 

That's definately confirmed the 60 degree cone and cup Winabbey. I wonder who might have the Dunlop GPO-42 fittings.

Added: Just been down and checked the angles of the cones and cups for the hydro joint bits I've got apart - just in case I was getting a bit innumerate or blind in my old age. Yep, against a lathe cross slide and engineers protractor......, all 45 degrees! Never say never when it comes to BMC!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:33 pm 

I’ve got a rough as **** one you can section Peter. I’ll bring it when we next do coffee down south.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next