mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:48 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:

And while we're here, don't accept that the sectionalised drawing in the workshop manual is anything like reality!

Here is the sectioned one at Tim Harbur's place:

Sorry - skipped a page so only now realise it was already posted up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by AndyPen on Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:06 am 

What we REALLY need to see is a unit machined apart RADIALLY. If anyones got as knackered unit I'll do it. But I draw the line at cutting up a good one!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:45 am 

BLT wrote:
So is that the one the re-hosers use, or one you've heard works? Cheers

I believe it is according to a photo I’ve seen and of someone over the pond who has tested these ones but I’m not sure if the re hosing outfit will divulge the info as we will all be doing it !!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:41 am 

In my heart I firmly believe that the female threads of the hydro system are slightly different to the norm, as I stated an a roundabout way when describing how to make the little gadget to pressurise/test the hydro units with air or water pressure. The MALE threads of the commercial threads need the tips of the teeth rounded - or deepened, I forget which. But whatever, it was a simple 5 minute job on a lathe with a triangular file. In fact I said if anyone wants their adjusted, just send it with a £1 for return postage and I'd spin it up.

I think that the threads were slightly non standard to prevent a bit of piracy and a loss of profit. Just my thoughts.

But like I have said all along, it's not a high pressure system. In the world of hydraulics, it wouldn't even register on the richter scale! It's not the thread that seals the system but the cone and acorn joint.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:24 pm 

JIC is UNF thread, so thread is doable, but the cone is all wrong. BSP is the wrong thread but the cone is ok. Metric, the thread is okish, M16 x 1.5, but no cone, just a tube thing. So no ideal fit.

Nearest I can find is this, which is a metric but has a cone sort of thing https://www.malpasonline.co.uk/itm/Metr ... vel/116874.

Nearest hose is this, but wrong id https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-Gold-Sta ... 3242232832

Also this, but fabric covered not rubber http://www.fluidpowerservices.co.uk/sho ... 100r5.html

Both would take the pressure.

I could also use the old ends. But then I need to get someone to crimp the end to the hose. None of the custom crimpers online do this hose or fitting, plus there's the liability if it's not their stuff etc.

It's a bugger. I asked one of the rehosers if their end was a perfect match/fit and they said yes, an exact match. But understandably, as Andrew said, they don't want to give much away. I am now thinking it's worth sending the displacers to them, but I don't like to be beaten and if I can't find the right end after weeks of search then they must have them made especially.

Not too bothered about the hose. Already got a hose made up with a 3/8BSP female swivel end but it's too big on the original union. I can see how the male could be filed down as you say Peter, but this is the female and it's too big, only thing would be tons of ptfe tape, a bodge. Hoping the metric is better, so ordered one of those Andrew to see. Also JIC may work with some kind of olive, but again a bit of a bodge. Anyone know of someone with a crimper?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:07 pm 

Happy to say my local Pirtek have just invited me down to discuss :) So I'll be taking the lot down to see if they have anything close or maybe get something bespoke made up. I'll let you know.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:24 pm 

As you have said, you can be rest assured that the thread system on the hydro IS UNF or in the US, ANF. We know that because it's 18TPI, 60 degree angle, Machineries tells us and the adaptor lock nut carries the 3ring mark - and I've just cut a male sample on a 5/8"/.625 bit of old mild steel. What happens is that depending on several things the thread root and/or apex are flat (the ANF style) or round (the UK style - or vice verca so please feel free to correct me) and these can sometimes and occasionally do bite on the larger diameters. That's why I suggested in an earlier thread that to cure the jambing-up to just tickle the tips of the male threads (as I had to do with the sample I've just cut and they work a champ.

The Pirtek van-man and Oxford store were VERY good to me but it's a bit like going to Somerfords......, it depends on who serves you. Good luck

What I don't understand is 'that the cone is wrong'. The male cone and female cup are standard 45 degree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:32 pm 

JIC has a cup, not a cone. The female end on the displacer needs to be a cone, dome, acorn, whatever, basically it protrudes and mates with the cup on the union. So with JIC(that has the UNF thread) it's the wrong way round, it would be two cups, no good. Nowhere have I seen a 45 degree cone/cup? They're 30, 60. As for taking the tips off the threads, that works with a male BSP into UNF, but the displacer hose end is female, so is too large for the UNF union.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:39 pm 

Yes, I wonder what their faces will be like when I turn up with all this old junk. Still, might be a nice distraction from the usual stuff they do. I've got another one to go to now, but will try Pirtek first. I'm quite lucky round here being on the edge of Teesside. The legacy of ICI & co is there's still plenty of our remaining industrial outfits knocking about.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:04 pm 

I got/scrounged some 60 degree cone adaptors from the Pirtek man with a van so they are available and you'll see that I use one to adapt 'the gadget' to screw into the hydro unit. If you want a photo to show the main Pirtek man just let me know

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next