Hydro hose replacement

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Peter Laidler

Re: Hydro hose replacement

Post by Peter Laidler »

My local PIRTEK man had an inset collar thinggy to crimp the ferrule in his van. Not used very often except on some bob-cat stuff ( ?? forgive me if it wasn't that but the name sticks in the old memory cells). While not questioning the re-hosers in any way, but everyone having a set re-hosed should take the front or rear adapter thinggy with them to make sure that the new cone and especially the NUT fits into/onto the adapter thinggy* and screws down fully because while the first 4 or5 or so threads are OK, the nut can tighten up on the adapter. So just be fore-warned.

I didn't want to go into detail but you can overcome this by a bit judicious thread cleaning
*Andy, you loaned me a half decent M&F thread while I was writing up some notes ages ago.

mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Section through a Mini Hydrolatic Unit - (Sectioning & Photo: Tim of Minimail)

The future of Hydrolastic suspension:-
viewtopic.php?f=5&p=117115#p117115

Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

That's a pretty good picture by Tim at minimail Mab and shows the differences between reality and the pictures. What would be even better would be a knackered unit set up in a lathe and sliced across the outer bulge joint. So that the top and bottom parts came apart and the guts could be pulled out. Anyone got a knackered unit to slice apart on the lathe?

Dearg1275

Post by Dearg1275 »

Is this one knackered enough for you Peter?
111CF2BE-8451-485D-A9BB-0CD455F0429E.jpeg
PMed

D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Yep, that'll do nicely thanks. See you at Beaulieu! Do you have the broken off intake/outlet nozzle bit?

BLT

Post by BLT »

Hi. Does anyone know the nearest hydraulic fitting to the female end of the hydro hose? I believe the thread is 5/8 UNF with a dome mating surface of god knows what angle. JIC appears to use UNF, but 5/8 is not a standard size and the dome is a cone, so no use. 3/8 is the nearest size BSP but is too large and the wrong thread. What do the re-hosers use, the likes of those metioned earlier in the thread, there must something that will work. Displacer end seems simple with a threaded/tapped union, although 1/4BSP or NPT wouldn't leave much, so maybe 1/8BSP? Many thanks, Richard.
hose end.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Andrew1967

Post by Andrew1967 »

I've got the Gates hose end number somewhere Richard.

It has an O ring on the sealing face and although when looking at it, it doesn't inspire much confidence, I have been reliably informed that it works fine.

Will find number and let you know. :)

BLT

Post by BLT »

Thanks Andrew

Andrew1967

Post by Andrew1967 »

BLT

Post by BLT »

So is that the one the re-hosers use, or one you've heard works? Cheers