mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hydro hose replacement
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 3:13 pm 

Just checking...is it Tim that replaces the hose on the hydro displacers????
Anyone have them done...maybe post a few pictures and the cost of the service.
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:40 pm 

Yes, Tim at Minimail:-
https://www.minimail.co.uk/parts/
(see Suspension pdf file)
HYDROLASTIC DISPLACER - REFURBISHED . EXCHANGE £115.00 + vat 21A2008R

Also Hydrolastic Service here:-
http://www.hydragasandhydrolasticservic ... rvice.html

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:40 pm 

Hydrolastic Service quoted £100 per to rehose, derust, etch prime, paint and rig test, plus shipping.
I haven't used them personally though.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 pm 

I know someone who used minimail and new hose failed after a short time and he couldn't get any backup at all, ended up fitting a good used one. He was disappointed after spending so much money to get no warranty on work done,

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:03 am 

Been studying one of these units....doesn't look all that difficult to insert a new threaded union.....crimping the hose may be a bit more of an issue.. Is the original hose /union threaded into the displacer>????

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:04 am 

No one has the facility to swage on a new hose to the existing spout Dermott.

The spout is cut off flush and tapped to 1/4 NPT and then a 1/4 NPT x 3/8 hose end is crimped onto the somewhat unoriginal looking hydraulic hose and then glued/fitted into the displacer.

Swage a fitting onto the other end to connect to the adaptors.

Unfortunately the fitting that goes onto the adaptors is not quite right (if you look at them) as the seating faces are not identical but do seal.

I am looking into trying to find a better looking hose and also a more accurate adaptor end set up but have other things to do and is not high only priorities at present.

I aim to have better looking hoses on HOY ;) :)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:07 am 

Ian Kennedy at http://www.hydragasandhydrolasticservic ... rvice.html gives a fantastic service. Great guy, great job and fully rig tested. If you had any problems, which I am sure you wouldn't, he would certainly stand by his work.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 9:41 am 

This is only MY opinion, based on having a hate-hate affair with hydro and having looked into mine a zillion times.
The units. Mine have been in and out and up and down more times that a whores drawers
If the hose leaks at the unit end it can be removed by cutting the swaged sleeve away. IF the nozzle part, the intake/outlet of the unit is OK and not rusted through it's quite possible to get your local PIRTEK or hydraulic hose fitting/repair service to fit and swage a new hose to the units. Alas the old Dunlop HYFLEX low pressure hose isn't available so I'm lead to believe. But that fact didn't bother me I have to say!
The other end - the end that screws to the pipe. As Andy says, an exact thread/taper from that end doesn't seem to be available BUT a replacement is, albeit not exactly the same taper BUT IT WILL SEAL. You can just slightly machine the taper so that it is exact (there's a little bit more to this than meets the eye it has to be said..., but just a little depending who you get the end from.
OR:
if the nut and cone are still good you carefully cut the original crimp off the hose, release the nut and cone off the old hose and have that end crimped/swaged on the new hose. Been there, done it, got the tee shirt and shredded hands.

And while we're here, don't accept that the sectionalised drawing in the workshop manual is anything like reality!

The very BEST way you can preserve the unit to hose joint is to modify the unit while it's out as detailed a few months ago.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:11 am 

So are you saying that Pirtek have the ability to swage a hose onto the spout Peter ? I thought this was the major issue in re-hosing ?

It would be possible to use a ferrule to re-swage the adaptor end to keep the original fitting.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 10:13 am 

I recently used Ian Kennedy for 6 hydro units. Re-hosed and pressure tested. He also repaired thte metal shroud on one that had rusted away. All for £85 each which I think included the return postage.