mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 8:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie with a mk1
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:21 am 

Hello all, thought I’d make a quick post to introduce myself (hopefully in the right place). I’ve had my Mk1 Cooper since the mid 1990s, currently set up as a race car with the HSCC. Been a hectic last six months so the engine is still in bits after running the thrusts and needing a new crank, hopefully I’ll have it back together and out racing soon.

I’ve joined here hoping for a bit of hillclimb/sprint advice as I was considering doing a few this year in addition to racing.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Post subject: Re: Newbie with a mk1
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:16 pm 

Very nice! I'm sure there will be a few on here you've met on track, and others who will be happy to advise on Hillclimbing & sprinting.

Al

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:13 pm 

Thanks Al

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:23 pm 

Car looks the business - I have always found this forum to be the bees knees on any advice, so sure you'll get ideas from here ;-)

Now restoring my 1071 former rally car and had a 970 circuit and hillclimb car... a genuine car I believe but all gone now, and the motor is in our Super de Lux - detuned a little ;-)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:27 pm 

AndyPen wrote:
Car looks the business - I have always found this forum to be the bees knees on any advice, so sure you'll get ideas from here ;-)

Now restoring my 1071 former rally car and had a 970 circuit and hillclimb car... a genuine car I believe but all gone now, and the motor is in our Super de Lux - detuned a little ;-)

Mine started out as a rally car but when I rebuilt it for the second time I converted it to a race car and changed the colour from Island Blue/White.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Oneball, Your car looks like a cracker.

I started off Hillclimbing back in the early 1980's, but have only really come back to it over the last few years. Tried Racing for a few seasons, but couldn't keep up with the costs or for that matter the other cars :lol:

I don't know whereabouts you are, but there are Hillclimbs & sprints all over the place.

I sponsor a class at each years Harewood Classic where we have had 19 minis in one class for the last couple of years. That is always a great day.

Generally speaking, your car will be reasonably competitive as it is, & would need very few changes to be very competitive.

When comparing Hillclimbing & Sprinting to Racing the Pros & Cons are obvious.

Con: Not much seat time per event.

Pros: You won't be breaking your car endlessly, wear & tear is pretty minimal. Plenty of time to talk bollocks with like minded folk, it is very competitive if you want it to be, but can also be very relaxed & enjoyable.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:10 am 

That looks very nice 8-)

Mine is an automatic so not much use for hill climbing - it can barely get up some hills!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:43 am 

Thanks MiniGuy

Hi Mark, I’m in Worcester so close to Shelsley, Prescott, Loton and not too far from some of the others.

I’ve got an entry in for Shelsley for the beginning of June which clashes with Harewood Classic. The only thing I’m going to change is the tyres. Still going to do a few races, probably Oulton Gold Cup and Silverstone this year. I’d like to keep racing but I’ve finished a few races over the last couple of years where I’ve got out and thought “I’m not sure I want to do this anymore” the driving has got quite aggressive at times.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:08 am 
Site Admin

Hi Tim,

Sounds like you can have the best of both worlds!

I may catch you at the Gold Cup.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:10 pm 

Hi Tim your car looks great, there are also the southern hills to master such as Wiscombe and Gurston, the M5 and M3 should make the journey viable at the right time in the morning/evening. Both venues have road modified classes, are quite laid back and the competition is close.

Attachment:
sml.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.