mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nuts n bolts
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:02 pm 

Another dull question. Rebuilding the car after a respray. So do you replace all the bolts with shiny new non original ones or put it back together with the old brown original ones :roll:
Don’t suppose you can get the same bolts with the tapered ends anymore?

Post subject: Re: Nuts n bolts
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:03 pm 

You can get all your original bolts replated

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:33 am 

For me personally, using the old fittings or having them re-plated is taking originality too far. I prefer to use new silver zinc plated nuts, bolts, washers and spring washers which are readily available.

I do however break far far away from tradition by applying a dab of anti-seize so I can get the flippin' things undone again in the future!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 2:52 am 

For all the internal and hidden stuff I always reuse the original bolts whenever possible. I find the quality is generally better than modern machining, and I have a “big bag o’ bolts” recovered from previous teardowns and scrappers which gets carried from one car to the next.

For visible things like the nuts on the thermostat housing I use stainless, for the ‘bling’ factor - nothing worse than seeing rusty bolts on a freshly restored engine... but then, i’m also ‘that ocd guy’ who tries to make sure the flats of the jubilee clips, nuts and bolt heads are all aligned in the same direction with fore-aft with the car...

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:05 am 
Site Admin

I can't see the point in using scanky old fixings. OK, you can get the originals replated, but how often do you remove a beautiful virgin bolt from a Mini? In my experience pretty much never! They are usually mashed up, rounded off have worn threads or whatever.

Thankfully good quality new BZP UNF fixings are easy to get hold of here & I have pretty much replaced everything as I have gone along for years.

All mechanical fixings are only as good as the thread / head they have & trying to reuse worn / damaged originals seems daft to me.

As with everything else, there is no right or wrong answer, but personally I like to work with clean 100% new fastners wherever possible. I do however make sure that they are the correct type & spec for whatever they are being used for.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 am 

I'm firmly in the Minibitz and Mk1 camp here. Always use readily available new with plenty of coppaslip.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:10 am 

I also use mainly new fasteners and stainless where its suitable, catmint do a good rear subframe fixing kit in stainless with correct tapered bolts.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:39 am 

I use new BZP mild steel nuts, bolts, washers as much as possible.

The only things I use originals on are the threaded screws for trim parts, speedo housing, door hinges etc etc as the modern offerings are not right.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:54 am 

Catmint was a good shout. Cheers lads

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:59 pm 

I have a large drum type rock polisher. Every nut, bolt and washer goes in for a cleaning followed by a quick inspection. Questionable parts go directly into recycle bin. The balance is wire brushed sprayed with WD40 and sorted by size length and thread. Stored in clear plastic well marked containers. I also buy a lot of new SAE grade nut ,bolts and washers. All race car projects get new grade 8 or better. Steve (CTR)