mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mini Spares
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:07 am 

Although I've had my first order confirmation email I've not had a dispatched follow up yet, I'm sure they are working as hard as they can to resolve issues, we are all very dependant on computer systems these days and when something happens it always takes time to unravel the mess.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:48 pm 

mk1coopers wrote:
Although I've had my first order confirmation email I've not had a dispatched follow up yet, I'm sure they are working as hard as they can to resolve issues, we are all very dependant on computer systems these days and when something happens it always takes time to unravel the mess.

Sounds like Mini Spares might have a handle on the problem. A phone call revealed that my order had been shipped and tracking showed it to have arrived in the US. Now if only the USPS can manage to get it out of San Francisco enroute to Tacoma......Congrats to Mini Spares for all of the hard work.

Last edited by croc7 on Tue May 21, 2019 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:00 am 

The dispatch email has arrived parts on the way 8-)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:19 am 

Well done Minispares, ordered on Thursday 23rd arrived Friday 24th. You can't get much better than that, unless you could come and fit the parts.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:35 am 

Yes , l emailed them about a new flywheel l had bought from them that failed and never got a reply :( , a supposedly EN24 flywheel the boss stretched alowing it to move forward thus jamming the primary gear .

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:24 am 
Site Admin

minimad wrote:
Yes , l emailed them about a new flywheel l had bought from them that failed and never got a reply :( , a supposedly EN24 flywheel the boss stretched alowing it to move forward thus jamming the primary gear .

Very, very unlikely that it "stretched".

As Minispares sell literally 100's of these a year it is unlikely that the one you bought is suffering a unique problem. Probably best to pursue them direct.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:40 pm 

mk1 wrote:
minimad wrote:

As Minispares sell literally 100's of these a year it is unlikely that the one you bought is suffering a unique problem. Probably best the pursue them direct.

Take it from me number 1 , it stretttttttched , moved forwards on the nose of the crankshaft and jammed the primary gear which meant of course that l could not work the clutch and thus not drive the car, and yes there was clearance when l assembled it all on the stand . After l stripped it again and re-fitted the flywheel and tightened it up you could actually hear the flywheel as it moved up the taper ...........l do my flywheels up to 160 foot lb plus . l'm not bagging minispares , l've bought thousands of pounds worth of bits n pieces off them over the last 8 years and their service and quality l have found to be excellent . l emailed them twice about flywheel but never recieved a reply so just gave up and bought a replacement one off MED.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:14 pm 

minimad wrote:
mk1 wrote:
minimad wrote:

As Minispares sell literally 100's of these a year it is unlikely that the one you bought is suffering a unique problem. Probably best the pursue them direct.

Take it from me number 1 , it stretttttttched , moved forwards on the nose of the crankshaft and jammed the primary gear which meant of course that l could not work the clutch and thus not drive the car, and yes there was clearance when l assembled it all on the stand . After l stripped it again and re-fitted the flywheel and tightened it up you could actually hear the flywheel as it moved up the taper ...........l do my flywheels up to 160 foot lb plus . l'm not bagging minispares , l've bought thousands of pounds worth of bits n pieces off them over the last 8 years and their service and quality l have found to be excellent . l emailed them twice about flywheel but never recieved a reply so just gave up and bought a replacement one off MED.

I don't understand what you mean? When you add the primary gear thrust washer, fit the primary gear, primary gear backing ring and primary gear C ring and check the standard gap 4-6 thou for me, the flywheel will only meet the C ring & backing ring?

I'm lost here honest :?

Alan

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:26 pm 

Not sure it would stretch the flywheel, more likely the threads in the crank and bolt but the flywheel torque setting is 110-115 ft/lbs not 160+

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:23 pm 

Supersonic wrote:
minimad wrote:
mk1 wrote:

Very, very unlikely that it "stretched". ...

Take it from me number 1 , it stretttttttched , moved forwards on the nose of the crankshaft and jammed the primary gear ...

I don't understand what you mean? When you add the primary gear thrust washer, fit the primary gear, primary gear backing ring and primary gear C ring and check the standard gap 4-6 thou for me, the flywheel will only meet the C ring & backing ring?
Alan

I suggest an alternate problem. If the bore of the new flywheel is not made to spec (just a few thousandths too large in diameter) then the flywheel will crawl too far forward on the crank tail. I agree that this probably won't jam the primary gear but it can cause the ring gear to contact the aluminum housing. This happened to my car years ago when a lot of lapping was done to clean up both the crank tail and the flywheel hub bore. I ended up needing a new flywheel hub to move the ring gear away from contact. Again, it didn't jam the primary gear but jammed the ring gear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next