mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 8:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SDL bumpers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:33 pm 

My bumpers are completely shot so I'd need to replace them. I see mini spares do a set with over riders and corner bars for £250. Has anyone bought them and know what they are like for quality?

Post subject: Re: SDL bumpers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:02 pm 

A good idea for a thread - are there any suppliers of good quality repro non super de luxe (ie withour corner bar holes) chrome bumpers?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:36 pm 

All quiet on the bumper front!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:09 pm 

I have only found the genuine stainless ones anywhere near a good fit, I have looked at many shows at the so called good chrome bumpers and haven’t found one yet,
I saw a nos 5 bolt bumper at bingley this year, was priced fair. Trouble is it was drilled for a mk1 with corner bars. If it had been plain I would have bought it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:46 am 

Daz1968 wrote:
I saw a nos 5 bolt bumper at bingley this year, was priced fair. Trouble is it was drilled for a mk1 with corner bars. If it had been plain I would have bought it.

That's a shame - that would have done me! One day I'd like to head over to one of the autojumbles at Beaulieu. Maybe when the kids are a bit older.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:00 am 

Good Mini stuff @ Bulee Jumbles is rare to find .. however i did find an original Speedwell Tacho & Pod one year :D

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:29 pm 

I would like to add that I have just purchased some chrome bumpers with over riders from Huddersfield mini spares from himley today, the fit is very good also over riders fit the bumpers correctly. Was £115 all in so not bad price for the both bumpers and four over riders.
They are rolled on the ends like the genuine stainless ones but other than that am very pleased with them, also a lot cheaper than getting my original ones chrome plated. Just hope the chrome holds up on them.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:06 pm 

That's interesting to know Daz. I hadn't thought of Huddersfield. I looked on their website and the kit I'm after is £200 all in for 2 bumpers, over riders and corner bars. £50 cheaper than mini spares but I wonder which one is the better quality.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:28 pm 

I can’t understand why the mk2 kit was £115 and the mk1 kit with only corner bars added with some holes in bumper and over riders is an extra £85,
I used mini spares genuine stainless ones on my mk1 and these chrome ones from Huddersfield fit equally as good, profile matches the over riders and is chrome plated so it was a no brainier for me