mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:02 am 
Site Admin

I sort of 1/2 agree Pete. For Mini anoraks like us that is perfectly true, but for the vast majority of the public who attend an event like the revival a load of tiny sports, racing & fast back GT cars that on the face of it have nothing to do with Mini's as they know them, are just confusing.

I know when I did Goodwood last time I spent more time explaining the likes of the Chris Lawrence Twini & the Camber GT than I did talking about my own car.

I think the punters just all found it a bit confusing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:40 am 

It's true, to the man in the street it's like seeing a Formula Ford in a Ford Cortina parade.

Personally I'd like to see them in the parade, but I understand the 'factory built' approach.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:08 am 

I understand both sides of this argument, but I didn’t expect it to be repeated ever. As said it doesn’t really tally with what the general public’s knowledge of the Mini is/was.

I fell out with the Mrs big time over taking my Cox in 2009, but I felt it was likely going to be the only chance I’d have to take it to a revival event, not least as they weren’t built before the 1967 cut off date.
I loved every moment of the 2009 revival, but I didn’t get many people asking what is it?

The most regular insult I get about my car is it being mistaken for another derivative, normally.....

“oh I thought the mini Marcos was more ugly than that, it actually looks nice” :o :shock:

Normally at a classic car meet or in the petrol station. A sort of a half compliment, by saying it not ugly but, still thinking it’s something it’s not. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:36 am 

The average man in the street who knows little about Minis won't know what a Broadspeed GT is or Minisprint either (which are both at Goodwood) . Most seem to know what a Marcos is (which isn't included). I respect the decision to only include steel Minis but Mini GTs are a big part of the Mini story I think going right back to those '60s Mini Festivals. The 2009 Goodwood collection was awesome!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:24 pm 

Agreed Pete,

but to a regular joe public layman a Broadspeed, and a Minisprint are unmistakably
“a Mini derived vehicle”

Or

Could it be its just the regular plastic (specials/derivatives) snobbery view held by some?

Everybodys entitled to there option but I still find it rude some comments I hear about glass fibre derivatives.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:13 pm 

turbocox wrote:
but to a regular joe public layman a Broadspeed, and a Minisprint are unmistakably
“a Mini derived vehicle”

Yep, I think thats the criterior.

Yes some plastic fantastics do get a kicking, but then some definitely deserve one. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:06 am 

A little bit of Downunder will be represented at the festival with one of the BMC Australia Works Cooper S currently on its way.

A team of three Works 1275cc Cooper S Mini's competed at the 1967 Gallaher 500, at Bathurst with race numbers 28C, 29C and 30C.

The BMC team managed to win its class with 30C driven by Tony Fall and Bob Holden taking the Class C win, 29C driven by Timo Makinen and John French taking 3rd place (despite the fact that Timo had barrel rolled the Mini at Forrest Elbow, only losing 35 seconds on that lap), and Paddy Hopkirk and Brian Foley bringing 28C home in 4th place.

The three cars were distinguished by their specific pit markings on the bonnet, roof and rear quarter panels, a shamrock in 28C's case.

After being found stored in a garage several years ago 28C underwent a sympathetic restoration by Greg Coates and is now in the custody of Jono Morris who will accompany the car at Goodwood.

Let's hope the distinguished Irishman who punted the car around the unforgiving mountain racetrack that is Bathurst can be reunited with this genuine historic Works car.

Attachment:
Paddy 2.jpg

Attachment:
Paddy 1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 am 

Pete wrote:

Yep, I think thats the criterior.

Yes some plastic fantastics do get a kicking, but then some definitely deserve one. :lol:

I totally agree with that too, there are some total abominations out there, which should never have been allowed to be on the road.

If you look at it another way, the organiser doesn’t have to pick the ugly “weird” kid,
or “different” car to come play on their team ;)

So back to the beginning, I must have an ugly car, or it's just snobbery that isolate the the grp specials.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:09 am 

Fantastic & looking forward to seeing 28C .. Special "S" :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:19 pm 

The Bathhurst car is one I'm really looking forward to seeing

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 30  Next