mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:55 pm 

This forum is not quick to delete genuine posts ... that particular post was not genuine.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:35 pm 

Nick W wrote:
This forum is not quick to delete genuine posts ... that particular post was not genuine.

Nick, perhaps I’ve got it wrong and if so I apologise. Should we all not have raised more questions for this person posting instead of in my view jumping the gun? Surely none of us now get agitated about such things. I’m also a big believer in saying it as it is and drawing a line under things sooner rather than later :)

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:25 pm 

I didn't see the posts concerned, so the following does not relate to a specific post or thread.

I'm a moderator, at the request of Mark, and I, like the other moderators do so of our own free will. To the best of my knowledge we have all been asked to undertake this role with the express intention of upholding the principles at the top of the page:

'A FRIENDLY International forum for people interested in the tuning and modification of classic BMC vehicles' (my emphasis added)

Any posts I have ever deleted (and I didn't delete the posts in question) have only ever been done so as they were contrary to this ethos, and usually after a clear 'warning shot', either in public or private that I feel a line is at least being approached, if not crossed.

Sure, some issues always prompt different views, and sometimes those views are very stongly held, and there is no harm in voicing them, but there comes a point where a line is crossed and people may be driven away from the forum, which is a greater loss to all than the 'point scoring' justifies. There is a specific case in mind here......

With regards to the red and white cars, we all know the issues, we all have our own views, and like the issue of Brexit, it ain't going to be sorted here. In fact, for what it's worth, I don't think this is the place for it, and think those particular arguments (not discussions, note) should be held on the MCR forum...... At times I feel like we are the hotel bar providing a venue for the fight that started in the pub next door! 8-)

That's my tuppence worth.

If folks don't like the efforts we make to keep the friendly atmosphere or our efforts to do so, they are free to leave. I hope most will stay for the excellent views, spirit and knowledge that exists here 99.9% of the time.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:08 pm 

When the first thread was deleted another with the same title quickly appeared, to me that was only going to go the same way as the first one, I'll put my hand up as one of the other forum moderators and say I deleted that second one, I'm happy to support genuine questions / replies, but not what was coming across as just trying to start an argument.

'Our' cars are all old, they have all had repairs done over the years, some were used harder than others and some have histories that are open for debate, going over and over the same ground isn't going to change this.

There have been constructive threads where plenty of evidence has been collected together to prove and disprove various claims made that cars are X Y or Z, none of these have been deleted.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:23 pm 

I find that this forum functions well. How much that is owing to the moderators behind the scenes is not clear. But it works. I think we all value this space where views and information can be exchanged and we all end up better informed if not necessarily wiser. If you kick too hard against the status quo it might just disappear - then we will all be the poorer. I have learnt a lot here and hopefully contributed and I for one do not want to see the drawbridge drawn up because it has become too much grief and hassle.

There now I have spat out my dummy and had a rant and shall shut up and go away
, for a while.

D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:07 am 

I thought it was a topic worthy of conversation but as usual with this subject matter started to descend into squabble and didn’t really look genuine, ie it was an odd topic to open with as a first ever post! :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:52 am 
Site Admin

Thank you for starting a healthy discussion Supersonic.

Like some of the other contributors, I didn't see the topic in question as I rarely look at a computer at the weekend. I was surprised to note that two mods deleted the two separate threads in question though, this is something that I have never seen before!

Speaking in general terms, "The Forum" deletes a TINY number of posts, I doubt that the total number of complete threads ever deleted would top a couple of dozen. This is because we have always encouraged a healthy open debate where all views are welcomed & encouraged. Myself & the moderators, most of whom have already spoken in this thread do all we can to allow all opinions, when these are voiced in a constructive, non personal way.

When a thread is deleted it is usually because it is straying into personal, legally dubious or deliberately destructive territory. This thankfully happens very occasionally, but when it does it can cause a very great deal of upset & disruption. The line between free speech & keeping a happy forum can be a very fine one that is difficult to tread. For what it's worth I think the mods do a pretty decent job.

It is quite simple, if members don't want a thread deleting then follow these simple suggestions:

1) Whenever you make a post, read it before you press post and ask yourself "How will someone who doesn't know me interpret what I have just written"?

2) If another member posts something you don't agree with, don't assume he is an arse & tell him so.

3) Try & bear in mind that there is rarely only one correct answer to a question, there are usually a range.

4) If someone appears to have taken offence at something you have said, try & explain your viewpoint in a way that is constructive & positive.

5) If you have no or few posts under your belt, avoid controversial subjects to begin with until members know you a little bit, it is far more likely your opinion with be listened to & interpreted positively if fellow members "know where you are coming from".

5) And this is the one I (usually) try to stick with. "If you don't have anything positive to contribute, don't bother."

As I have always said, the forum owes everything to the quality of it's members & the posts they make, if it thrives it is down to you & if it goes down the slot, you only have one person to blame for that too!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:01 am 

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to provide detailed replies for which very little I disagree with and much appreciated indeed.

What I should have said earlier that Andrew was holding his own very well and set out some good answers for Teaboy's qustions. I was about to ask Teaboy if he would tell us his name and what part of the country he lived in. I also wanted to ask him was he restoring a car or planning to in the near future.

I was also going to say, I’ve four cars and two are completely original and two completely rebuilt some years ago. I know they have had new panels etc but who cares? I don’t care and think the restored cars are as near correct that matters to me. In fact I think my restored cars are nicer than the original ones. Build what you what and please yourself.

Hope Teaboy reads this thread and comes back to this forum and explains himself more clearly with his next posts. :D

Alan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:15 am 

Not very often that I agree whole heartedly with Supersonic, but I do here, in respect of where the authors of posts live. Even if it were just the country - or the bloody county if in England. It should be a requirement to have a location. There, rant over!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Asking people to disclose their real names & or location is a TOTAL NON STARTER!

In theory it is a good idea, but very few people are prepared (for whatever reason) to do this. It will NEVER become a requirement for people to do this here.

M

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next