mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 4:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:17 pm 

foxy52 wrote:
Interesting thread this ..there are so many books re advise on identifiying Minis/Coopers..Chassis/body numbers,FE Numbers on Flitch panel,Engine numbers..for anyone that doesn't have these stamped on body/engines or even worse not even a registration number ?!!..how would you be able to prove any validity ? let alone get a Heritage Cert..!!..having said that Mk1 mini production information is far more extensive/traceable than say MK2 0r Mk3,s....foxy52

If it were not for our love of these amazing little cars I think that many would give up with a lot of these cars and they would be lost forever.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:31 pm 

Just a quick update!

I have sent through the chassis number M-A2S4/113425 to Richard at BMIHT explaining what we have discussed and he says "I am quite concerned with the lack of information on this vehicle, therefore before he proceeds he will need me to send him some pictures of the car"

Quite incredible, Beware everyone!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:25 pm 

Jim1071 recently went through the same process. All he had to go on was an FE number and the stamped bracket partial chassis number. You can read the details here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21014 It worked out OK in the end, and he got his matching heritage certificate.

I'm actually quite glad BMH are asking for as much proof as possible - since a heritage cert is usable to get new engine and chassis ID plates stamped it makes sense to have some level of verification from the requester. It's a shame DVLC weren't as fastidious when they were handing out logbooks to GH*

* that's meant as a joke - no offence intended to Jim or evetskcalc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:10 pm 

But a heritage certificate is not a proof of identity, it’s just a copy of the factory ledger record. To get id plates made you need a V5.

I’m glad they are asking for more information as otherwise it would be easy just to pick a number out of a hat and build a car to match.

Although I do not know the process to get a logbook on a reconstructed vehicle on a car with no information. Finding out this would be my first port of call.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:30 pm 

Surely HMIHT who hold the ledger records are just custodians of the ledger and should try and help find the correct information, they receive a lot of money for the information they hold.

It's no good saying the identity is lost when they can't do the work looking properly. I agree that these Hertitage Certificate's shouldn't be handed out like sweets but trying to get them to trace a car with only a partial chassis number, is like pulling teeth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:42 pm 

AustinSuperSeven wrote:
This is a very interesting subject...…
So here is my question (as I'm in a similar position), once a Heritage certificate has arrived, how can you find out the original reg number? or do you get issued an age related plate?
I have 2 early race cars (need a lot of work) one has a Vin but no Reg number, the other has a Reg number but no Vin....
Great advice/help so far.... :D

You need a friendly car dealer who has access to Experian AutoCheck or a similar system, (not sure if any of the public online HPI checks have the full search on reg and vin fully enabled).......there may be some Mk1 members in the motor trade who can help you with a search using either the VIN or reg. number:-
"AutoCheck to deliver data that helps clients to more effectively confirm a vehicles identity and provenance."
https://www.autocheck.uk.experian.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:48 pm 

evetskcalc wrote:
Surely HMIHT who hold the ledger records are just custodians of the ledger and should try and help find the correct information, they receive a lot of money for the information they hold.

It's no good saying the identity is lost when they can't do the work looking properly. I agree that these Hertitage Certificate's shouldn't be handed out like sweets but trying to get them to trace a car with only a partial chassis number, is like pulling teeth.

The ledgers are free to view in person, providing they are available, allowing you to research as you wish at no cost.

I don't believe they are researchers, more archivists.

The above point on HPI checks would only apply to cars currently on the DVLA system, but nothing pre computerisation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:52 pm 

[quote="Hipwell"][quote="evetskcalc"]
The ledgers are free to view in person, providing they are available, allowing you to research as you wish at no cost.

They won't allow Cooper ledgers out as previously people have been know to 'steal' the info to create clone cars.

I can't understand why anyone would want to do that! :) ;)

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:52 pm 

olddave wrote:
Hipwell wrote:
evetskcalc wrote:

They won't allow Cooper ledgers out as previously people have been know to 'steal' the info to create clone cars.

I can't understand why anyone would want to do that! :) ;)

Dave

Its was only works car I believe they removed access to. Although if they are scanning the ledgers to duplicate them, its possible they might.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:57 pm 

All Cooper info is kept the other side of the counter these days.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next