mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:55 pm 

In 62 there are no longer BMK tag ! I was thinking that could be a Feb/March 62 Morris Super, but.. floor start tell that no :) great car anyway!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:19 am 

It might well be a Cowley built Austin like my 61 - in which case it would have the chassis number stamped on the stiffener but would have an Austin chassis number prefix with a suffix M at the end of the chassis plate.

Why don’t you apply for a Heritage certificate on this basis and see what comes back?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:23 pm 

My November 1961 Cowley-built Austin Super does not have the chassis number stamped on the stiffener but I know of a later, 1962 Cowley-build that does...was it just random maybe?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:47 pm 

That's the body number. I've just had my Certificate for my 66 Morris. I qouted the correct chassis/VIN number starting M/A2 etc. They had that logged as well as the correct engine number. They also added the body number, which I didn't have. (like yours, a 6 figure number without any prefix). Think you should have a tin chassis number plate, maybe by the radiator inner wing cowl staring M/A2S... or A/A2s...
Not the same as an FE number.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:52 pm 

whistler wrote:
That's the body number. I've just had my Certificate for my 66 Morris. I qouted the correct chassis/VIN number starting M/A2 etc. They had that logged as well as the correct engine number. They also added the body number, which I didn't have. (like yours, a 6 figure number without any prefix). Think you should have a tin chassis number plate, maybe by the radiator inner wing cowl staring M/A2S... or A/A2s...

Is the body number the same as the chassis number! The only number I have is the number on the bracket ( only discovered when I removed the paint) The number is 113425 so would the chassis number be A-A2S7/113425 or A-A2S7/113425M or M-A2S4/113425. Was your body number different from chassis number, would be good to find out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:24 pm 

A photo would help. But I assume we’re taking about the number stamped into the reinforcing angle bracket on the right side of the car, where the inner wing meets the crossmember upper rear of the engine bay.

As far as I know, that number was only stamped on earlier Cowley assembled cars, most of which were Morris but some Austin badged cars were built there too.

It is the numeric portion of the chassis number, specifically the last 6 digits without the make/model prefix. So if you have that number and can figure out the corresponding prefix digits based on the trim level etc. of your car, you’ll have the whole chassis number required for ordering a heritage certificate.

M-A2S4/113425 seems most likely from the information on this thread.

Do not confuse the chassis number with the other tracking numbers used on the car.

The body number is quite different. That begins with ‘A’ and is a rectangular tag spot welded onto the bonnet slam panel above the front grille, or as a BMK tag which was fitted to the engine bay side of the firewall near the speedo housing - but only to very early Morris cars.

Likewise the FE number is different again. That is another, larger, rectangular tag spot welded onto the left side inner wing above the radiator. The FE tag is not useful for tracking the identity of a car, but is sequential so can be used to get a rough build date.

Sometimes there is another floor number tag welded into the right side footwell recess, but that’s usually the first to be lost due to common repairs in that area. Again this is unrelated to the chassis number and not useful for tracking the cars identification.

Last edited by iain1967s on Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:28 pm 

evetskcalc wrote:
whistler wrote:

Is the body number the same as the chassis number! The only number I have is the number on the bracket ( only discovered when I removed the paint) The number is 113425 so would the chassis number be A-A2S7/113425 or A-A2S7/113425M or M-A2S4/113425. Was your body number different from chassis number, would be good to find out.

Mine is different.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:33 pm 

whistler wrote:
evetskcalc wrote:
whistler wrote:

Mine is different.

What was the difference!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:41 pm 

iain1967s wrote:
A photo would help. But I assume we’re taking about the number stamped into the reinforcing angle bracket on the right side of the car, where the inner wing meets the crossmember upper rear of the engine bay.

As far as I know, that number was only stamped on earlier Cowley assembled cars, most of which were Morris but some Austin badged cars were built there too.

It is the numeric portion of the chassis number, specifically the last 6 digits without the make/model prefix. So if you have that number and can figure out the corresponding prefix digits based on the trim level etc. of your car, you’ll have the whole chassis number required for ordering a heritage certificate.

M-A2S4/113425 seems most likely from the information on this thread.

Do not confuse the chassis number with the other tracking numbers used on the car.

The body number is quite different. That begins with ‘A’ and is a rectangular tag spot welded onto the bonnet slam panel above the front grille, or as a BMK tag which was fitted to the engine bay side of the firewall near the speedo housing - but only to very early Morris cars.

Likewise the FE number is different again. That is another, larger, rectangular tag spot welded onto the left side inner wing above the radiator. The FE tag is not useful for tracking the identity of a car, but is sequential so can be used to get a rough build date.

Sometimes there is another floor number tag welded into the right side footwell recess, but that’s usually the first to be lost due to common repairs in that area. Again this is unrelated to the chassis number and not useful for tracking the cars identification.

If the last six digits of the number on the bracket ARE the last six digits of the whole chassis number then I should be able to get a certificate!

I wanted to find out if the bracket number is in fact the last six digits of the chassis number, so it looks like it is.

Thank you for that. The FE number is 290,401

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:59 pm 

Quote:
If the last six digits of the number on the bracket ARE the last six digits of the whole chassis number then I should be able to get a certificate!

I wanted to find out if the bracket number is in fact the last six digits of the chassis number, so it looks like it is.

That is definitely correct. These stamped numbers are in fact on both Austin And Morris cars and I have seen this even on late Mk1s of both marques. However they were not stamped on all cars. Seems to be a bit hit and miss. No idea why. If you have one stamped on your car you are lucky. They are often very faint and hard to read.

As mentioned before some pictures of the car would be helpful

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next