mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuel tank thingy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:19 pm 

PM sent Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:19 am 

AndyPen wrote:
I don't suppose you fancy sending a few over for local distribution? Happy to sort this end and pay up front if needs be? I'd like 3 myself anyway if possible as all my cars should have this.

Happy to help. PM sent.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:25 am 

mk1 wrote:
BUT in every example of these that I have come across, the bleed nipple is rusted hard into the bottom of the tank & access to it is so limited it is "almost" impossible to remove by the "standard" route.

In this case the only option in removing the tank is smashing the pipe off & ragging at the nipple until you can extricate the tank.

Ah - makes perfect sense when you explain it like that!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:02 pm 

winabbey wrote:
AndyPen wrote:
I don't suppose you fancy sending a few over for local distribution? Happy to sort this end and pay up front if needs be? I'd like 3 myself anyway if possible as all my cars should have this.

Happy to help. PM sent.

Thanks for the pms folks, we are making plans ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:12 pm 

Don’t suppose anyone knows but was the tube arrangement std to all mk1’s which had the drain facility?
Reason I ask is I have two 64 tanks both have a rusted in flat slotted screwdriver driven plug rusted into the brass bung.
Any thoughts anyone ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:24 pm 

Beatie wrote:
Don’t suppose anyone knows but was the tube arrangement std to all mk1’s which had the drain facility?
Reason I ask is I have two 64 tanks both have a rusted in flat slotted screwdriver driven plug rusted into the brass bung.
Any thoughts anyone ?

One of my tanks has this too I now realise, and another very rusty one I never got to throw away appears to have a broken version.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:53 pm 

Don’t suppose anyone knows the thread size ?
It looks like 3/8 ??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:02 am 

Beatie wrote:
Don’t suppose anyone knows the thread size ?
It looks like 3/8 ??

Yes, it's 3/8" UNF. Looking at my tank you have to wonder how long it would take to drain the fuel through an 1/8" diameter hole! Would be quicker to take the feed pipe off the carb and use the electric pump to drain it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:42 am 

I have been thinking exactly the same ever since the thread started 1071Bob! Looks like one of these '.....it was a good idea at the time' jobbies. Until a bit of grot from the bottom of the tank drops down into the drain and......... Surely, this is one of those cases where it's more realistic to fake a look-a-like thinggy up. And if the tank does need emptying - as both mine did this Summer - just siphon (or is it syphon?) them with a bit of tube like everyone else does, syphoning the clag from the bottom of the tank as you go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:44 pm 

Cheers Bob
I’ve got to drill at least one of mine out as the steel plug has corroded so much , heated 4 times over the weekend and have ended up destroying what was left of the screwdriver slot .
Will try easy out next before drilling to core dia .
I do wonder whether the screwdriver slotted plug was a tech bulletin issued to dealers in the day as the pipe arrangement was fraught with many disasters?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next