mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 pm 

Suggestions welcome on how to save this front Dove grey door card. It is covered in old contact cement....some idiot decided to glue something on the door cards.....
Wait to hear if anyone has a good solution before I use something that will destroy it.

If I can get it cleaned up good enough for a respray.....will be happy with that.
Attaching a picture of a front speedo piece that was Cumulus Grey,,,had some vinyl paint mixed to match some NOS Dove grey.....
Pretty darn good match.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:20 pm 

Most glues will dissolve with acetone, but vinyl being oil based will also dry out and crack quickly. I’d say acetone on q-tips or kitchen roll for the surface cleaning (don’t let it soak in!) and then as soon as the gunk is off, spray it down with a vinyl protector such as Vinylex or ArmorAll wipes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:21 am 

Don't laugh , if it's old contact adhesive, rubbing it with your fingers, it will come off , but your hands will require some TLC afterwards! :lol: or maybe a rubber eraser will do the trick also had some brocade cleaned this way as it was used as a roof lining on a small van . I think if you try cleaning it with solvents will make it worse.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:14 am 

If you give it a good scrub with a nail brush and warm soapy water it can be quite surprising sometimes what comes off.

D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:28 pm 

Try some brake cleaner on a cloth Dermott I have found this quite good on a lot of sticky residue however have not tried it on contact adhesive the good thing is it evaporates before it can do any harm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:51 pm 

no that I've tried it on upholstery nor paint... but on glass i always use bufsol to remove glue/ residue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:54 pm 

Got most of the dried cement off....tried the brake cleaner.....did help a bit...the vinyl is stained from the contact cement. Leaving it overnight to dry well...will give it a coat of the vinyl spray I had mixed....think it will be fine. Will post a picture after it is painted.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:51 pm 

Still working on the door cards...got the rears complete......hours of cleaning....then, give the card backing a soaking with warm water, Laid flat on the floor with a board on top with heavy weights. Two days later...the cards are perfectly flat as they once were. A coat of the
Dove grey vinyl paint and here is the finished product.
Had to do a little trimming on a couple of the corners as the backing was damaged.
Dove gray paint and here we are.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by 360gts on Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:29 pm 

360gts wrote:
Still working on the door cards...got the rears complete......hours of cleaning....then, give the card backing a soaking with warm water, Laid flat on the floor with a board on top with heavy weights. Two days later...the cards are perfectly flat as they once were. A coat of the Had to do a little trimming on a couple of the corners as the backing was damaged.
Dove gray paint and here we are.

Patience is indeed a virtue on jobs like this - well done ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 pm 

That seems to have come out with the right degree of sheen. What product did you use? I have had trouble with a vinyl dye coming out far too glossy.

D