Linread courtesy light switches

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mister bridger

Linread courtesy light switches

Post by mister bridger »

Just acquired 20 or so NOS Linread courtesy light switches, the correct push in type I believe. Surface has gone dull on most of them from storage, but all otherwise in good nick. I see there is some chancer on ebay offering a pair of these for £140.00 - any body have an idea of a fair price for these?

Andrew1967

Re: Linread courtesy light switches

Post by Andrew1967 »

I'd probably sell them for about £20-25 each on here. £140 is ridiculous but is someone is stupid enough to pay it .....

Are they the correct size .... there are slightly larger diameter ones that are often mistaken as Mini ;)

Hipwell

Post by Hipwell »

Was just going to comment on size, I've been caught out trying to buy a matching one. :lol:

Also there are several variations of design.

mister bridger

Post by mister bridger »

I'll take some measurements. All but one of them are straight - only one has a right angled connection. Is this important?

Hipwell

Post by Hipwell »

mister bridger wrote:I'll take some measurements. All but one of them are straight - only one has a right angled connection. Is this important?
Mini usually has the right angle type. There isn't much space in the A post for the wire to turn up 90°.

360gts

Post by 360gts »

A picture to the forum will establish if these are correct type as fitted to the Mini range
There are many different styles of these switches and as mentioned above....some are not the correct type for the mini.

mister bridger

Post by mister bridger »

Sadly unable to even upload pics to the computer at the moment, let alone here! Tried swapping the one on my car with one of these and it looks like it will fit just fine, but was too dark to do it properly and no tools with me to push it in that last bit (oo-er). Will try again when I have a moment.

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Do let us know, I'd be very interested at a sensible price too ;-)

winabbey

Post by winabbey »

mister bridger wrote:I'll take some measurements. All but one of them are straight - only one has a right angled connection. Is this important?
Very important. !!!

The early Mini one's are bent so as to fit in the narrow A pillar. Straight ones don't fit as they hit metal on the far side before seating. The switch metal outer is brittle so will no doubt snap if you try to bend a straight one so as to fit a Mini. The straight ones you have are much more common than the Mini style as they were used on vehicles that had clearance room in the pillar.

Are yours like the top one here?
Linread Door Switches.jpg
The type fitted to the Mini with the right angle bend is like this.
Linread Door Switch Mini.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.