mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:03 am 

As we enter another significant year in the history of the Mini and the subject of final resting place for records has been mentioned.

None of us are getting any younger and the future of the contents of our individual man cave records and items of interest, let alone the enthusiasm to maintain our cars is not entirely certain.

I have often wondered if an archive of important information including magazines about the Mini should be retained in an independent secure location with the information digitised on to a Database for ease of access to the information. Maybe a museum archive would be an appropriate location?

Happy New Year.
Cliff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Good question Cliff,

This is an issue that has been very close to my heart for years. While I have always been happy to share 99% of my stuff with anyone who cares to ask or have a look. I have found it almost impossible (with a handful of very honourable exceptions) to illicit scans of stuff, let alone actual items from the vast majority of Mini owners / enthusiasts. In this regard I have pretty much given up asking.

In my experience while most people are very happy to use an archive of the type offered by the main site, very, very few people are ever prepared to contribute any information whatsoever. I cannot see this changing ever.

So, as far as most collections are concerned, I am sure that they will be sat on until the owner snuffs it & then in most cases will be thrown out or in fewer cases will be auctioned off & split up.

The only consolation being that a heck of a lot of stuff is already archived by people like BMIHT & pretty much all Magazines are held by the British Library. With regards to donations to a museum etc. I am certain that you would struggle to find a museum who were prepared to take such a task on.

As far as the long term future of the MK1 Archive, I have just paid for another 2 years hosting with a new 50Gb limit, so I have masses of space if needs be. But TBH as the cost of hosting increases & the daily hit rate continues to drop (pretty much 50% down over what it was 4 years ago) I cannot see me continuing to host it indefinitely. THIS IS NOT A PLEA FOR MONEY, it's a statement of fact.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:48 pm 

mk1 wrote:
In my experience while most people are very happy to use an archive of the type offered by the main site, very, very few people are ever prepared to contribute any information whatsoever. I cannot see this changing ever.

So, as far as most collections are concerned, I am sure that they will be sat on until the owner snuffs it & then in most cases will be thrown out or in fewer cases will be auctioned off & split up.

Never understood why so many people horde their private collections rather than share it but it is true of many hobby interests and enthusiast collectors (eg. look at the vast collections and rusting cars/motorbikes, etc often discovered on 'American Pickers, which the aged owners won't share or sell anything before its too late).....if i discover anything rare or interesting in the world of Minis I am usually glad when others have seen it or made archive copies to share and safeguard it for future posterity.

The other problem with large collections and museums is that should the worst happen and say the building burns down/floods, etc, everything is in one place and is then lost for ever....

Remember the National Motorcycle Museum near Birmingham a few years back....
"Fire has destroyed much of the National Motorcycle Museum near Birmingham, ruining 650 vintage machines and leaving 60% of the building a blackened shell."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/here ... 114410.stm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:46 pm 

So who can go along to the HRCR day on Saturday and form a queue to ask the key Comps Dept people what they have in mind for their Mini papers?

Bill Price is obviously the key figure.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:22 pm 

mab01uk wrote:

Never understood why so many people horde their private collections rather than share it but it is true of many hobby interests and enthusiast collectors

Some reasons can be with shared info, after offering it up being shat on and just used as a door mat. Or those who when offered it, ignore (or ridicule) it then offer up (usually via a website or forum), their own unsupported version with a 'loud voice' and after a while, everyone starts to believe that non-sense.

Some just have short memories too.

Also, it pisses me right off that there are also no end of those who will profit financially from what you've given up in kind and for free.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:21 am 

It’s a very good idea and a worthwhile endeavour but a complicated one too.

Where would they be held, who would have access, who would be custodian etc.

Gaydon hold a huge amount of items, most is hidden all is there for profit making - they deny this obviously but you try asking for access or for a look/copy of anything and there’s a cost or just point blank refusal.

There are people at Gaydon who refuse to acknowledge the existence of documents within their storage as those items are to be used for writing personal books for their profit.

John Sheppard donated a large amount of his drawings to Gaydon, we were with him when he asked for access to his own stuff to teach a group of us about ADO19’s, they turned round to his face and denied they existed. They are clearly not the right custodian.

The sharing of information is exactly what was behind the 1959 website, 50 people had different bits of knowledge which is great if you can speak to those 50 people. We wanted as much information in one single place free to anyone and open to all.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:36 pm 

Collecting documents, AKD manuals and ephemera seems to be an occupational hazard (!) that comes with ownership it seems but most of the material I have that may be of interest is already on Mark's MK1 electronic database. Such is the depth and quality of material on there that even the oddities I have like Smiths instrument and equipment pages are already available. A cursory glance however shows I can come up with a copy of 'AKD 3518 Mini Van, Pickup, Countryman & Traveller Mechanical Service Parts List' updated to at least issue 7 which is into the 4-syncho era, but it could likely take the best part of a day to dismantle it, scan and collate a pdf which is a point many who download these may not perhaps always appreciate. One to do for the database on a rainy day perhaps..
The point effectively made by Spider is that once posted on the net the genie is out of the bottle, and few ever take note of where and from who they have download stuff from, so the good work of the original poster gets run over by the passage of time (...and of course internet based 'experts' who conveniently forget the source for the information). The long term ownership of a car certainly brings peripheral knowledge that only comes with that, but the internet seems to have largely consigned to history the days when if you wanted printed material you either had to find it in dusty bookshops, windswept autojumbles or borrow it to photocopy from fellow enthusiasts.
A group will come up with a more complete picture of events but as individuals it can often be disjointed - the Pub quiz team scenario (or in our case a forum), but as with many other subjects outside of the automotive industry this is of course where seasoned author comes to the fore and they also have a way of ingratiating themselves at archive houses like Gaydon, and thereby gain access to original source material otherwise denied to others. Sadly this is pretty much a universal truth in whatever sphere of research you are operating.