mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Garage flooring
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:44 pm 

Finally the garage is getting sorted and so we can actually finish Redshed the mk2. However I’d like to cover the floor in our integral garage. It’s about 36-40sqm or so. I’ll have the mini and the vee dub in there plus tools and bikes.(and beer fridge!) What would be a sensible quick solution for flooring?

Post subject: Re: Garage flooring
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:11 pm 

I'm sure that there'll be a zillion other answers but I'll start by suggesting that whatever you opt for, you leave what you've got for 3 months, especially if it's a newly laid floor. Let it dry thoroughly. Don't let any oil and grease get onto it either. I spread a load of large cardboard boxes on mine, where I trod and where the wheels sat, just because the cardboard would alloow the concrete to breath (if that's what it does?) and dry out fully.

Then use a epoxy type floor paint, mix and stir and just pour it on and allow it to form its own level, helping it with a throwaway roller - and wearing a pair of throwaway wellies too! My local Fred Knight ironmongers had a few odd 1 and 5 gall cans of different shades of grey going cheap so I just mixed a few together to form a mid grey, 10% hardener and it's been OK for the past many years. Just patch it in every so often. But I still let the car wheels sit on cardboard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:39 pm 

Flooring, or Floor paint?

I had a new garage built in late 2017 and painted the floor with Bradite DP5 which is a polyurethane based paint. It's been great so far.

As Peter says, best to let the concrete dry for a long time as the slabs dry very slowly. There is a certain recommended drying time per mm thickness - I left it for about 4 months and had a dehumidifier running. Also recommended to vacuum the surface and get as much loose dust off it as possible before painting.

I looked at Resins but read a lot of stories about damage caused by heat from welding and easy to chip etc with dropped tools so opted for paint, but if it's a showroom look the Resins certainly look great.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:50 pm 

Here's a little thing to add to the mix, concrete does not set by drying out. In fact concrete sets stronger if it is kept wet. I did an OND in building studies years ago and during that course we did concrete testing. The tests involved compressing to destruction 1 cubic foot cubes of concrete made a various mixes and different types of curing. The cubes that withstood the highest rates of compression were those that had been submersed and cured in a tank of water. They usually withstood almost twice the compressive force of the air dried cubes.

People often wonder why new concrete floors are dusty. The main reason is that the concrete has dried out before the actual curing process is complete (usually 28 days for around 80% strength) and thus the top surface does not bond properly. Using dehumidifiers to dry your concrete is not really a good idea until it has had time to cure.

For a temporary measure I would use Cordex sheets laid over Visqueen. This will keep the moisture in the concrete whilst it cures, but also allow light use of the garage and prevent damage to the surface. Once fully cured the remove the protection and apply your chosen finish. By the way, is the floor being laid by a builder? If so why not ask his advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:19 pm 

I’m not a big fan of floor paints, they look great for a short time then degrade quickly.
I’d have polished concrete and clean up any spills quickly..
D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:29 pm 

The floor in the garage is the only original one left so it’s been down since 78. I’m fairly certain it’s cured :-)
I think I’m leaning towards going with interlocking tiles, but looking at the costs i’ll Put up the lean too first ( that’ll get us another 36sqm of storage ).

Floor paints look like a lot of hassle and involve taking everything out for a fortnight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:28 pm 

epoxy paint isa good way togo i painted my proffesionalshop 15years ago and it stilllooks good but dontpark a car with hoy tyre on it for a good few months or it willlift the paint whenyoudrive away. follow the manufactures instructions exactly including washing the concrewte surfacewith muriatic acid and do it on a warm dry dayand it willbegood for years even brake fluiddoes'ntbother mine butit does chip if you hit it hard enogh maE SURE your supplier sells small amounts for touch up

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:56 pm 

Good point about the paint sticking to the tyres. I found this and it stuck to tyhe tyres for several months. I touched up the 8 small areas and kept them covered (after they'd dried of course) with cardboard. But the tyres don't bother the paint now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:26 am 

Hi

I have looked into this a lot, although haven't managed to put it into practice yet (house extension won out).

I would recommend looking at the garage Journal forum (sorry if this is advertising another forum), it is US focused but there are a lot of different options explored.

But the key finding for me was what do you want to do in your garage, most flooring solutions work well for everything except welding. Tiling can be good (needs to be laid correctly), epoxy is good needs time to cure (can also be repaired), staining and or sealing is also good which seems to be the preferred option welding. Plastic removal tiles, expensive to buy, but replaceable and take take to another garage in future, can be lifted to clean underneath but can be damaged using jacks.

If welding water ever you choose you probably want a welding blanket to protect the floor.

Hope this helps.

Nathan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:57 am 

For me its always good to spend when "her in doors" wants New House Carpets.. her ex house cord back Carpets work a treat laid on my Garage Floor & give a bit of comfort when i kneel on it during the cold winter days .. also the Carpet stops condensation on the surface of my floor in winter. + i use the old Vac; it keeps the Garage Carpets tidy.
Mini Tyres keep happy with a bit of comfort as well :o