mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:50 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Securing mini to trailer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:24 pm 

On Saturday I'm taking my mk1 to get some welding done. I'm hiring a trailer. I was just wondering what was the best way to secure it to the trailer, i.e. ratchet strap around each subframe?

It's an automatic if that makes any difference.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:39 pm 

By law the vehicle has to be restrained by way of straps on the wheels i believe.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:43 pm 

I always strap down by all 4 wheels. The strap runs behind the wheel with a 2nd loop that sits in front of the wheel.

If you strap to the subframe there’s a real risk of the straps coming loose as the suspension on the car moves up and down.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:45 pm 

A set of tie down straps in a bag off ebay was about £40 last year when I bought some.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:55 pm 

Tupers wrote:
I always strap down by all 4 wheels. The strap runs behind the wheel with a 2nd loop that sits in front of the wheel.

If you strap to the subframe there’s a real risk of the straps coming loose as the suspension on the car moves up and down.

This looks ideal. Is it something that can be done with ordinary ratchet straps?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:30 pm 

Just get the proper kit similar to this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-TIE-DOWN ... Sw1d9bXyv~

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

I have strapped my car on it's trailer for the last 30odd years by a ratchet strap wrapped round each front tie bar & both corners of the rear subframe. In what must be some thousands of miles of towing I have never had any incidents. In my experience this is a far safer way of strapping a Mini down that by the wheels.

If there is a legal requirement to strap a car down by the wheels the couple of Coppers who have stopped me while towing were obviously not aware of this.

The reason that I first started doing it like this was that I was always worried that strapping down via the wheels would mess up my carefully set steering geometry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

I have just checked & the only requirement is that a load is secure, there are no specific requirements stating how this should be done.

Extract from the DVSA Web site:

DVSA examiners ask themselves a series of questions:

can the load slide or topple forwards or backwards?
can the load slide or topple off the side?
is the load unstable?
is the load securing equipment in poor condition?
is there anything loose that might fall off?
does the vehicle present an immediate likelihood of causing danger of injury due to its load security or stability?

The examiner will refer to the load security matrix if they answer ‘yes’ to any of these questions. The matrix helps them decide the appropriate course of action to take based on the risk.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:49 pm 

There is a problem with attaching the ratchet straps to the wheels when the tyre is punctured. As the tyre deflates, the strap then comes loose, and if you get stopped by a copper who is having a bad day, he will do you for having an insecure load as the strap is loose. The fine for this can be as high as £2k.
When I've been off around the country picking up minis, and my buddy who is a trucker has come along to help, he straps them down everywhere- wheels subframe etc. I would just drag them up onto the trailer with the winch and think it will be fine-what could possibly go wrong. Then get told as i am using a pick-up (L200) to tow, the pick-up is a light goods vehicle so that gets me into the realms of commercial driver for the level of fines for insecure loads.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:35 pm 

Thanks for the replies, seems to be a bit of a minefield!
I will have to winch it on as it's a non runner at the minute. Is the best place round the front subframe to attach winch?