mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 10:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:52 am 

I recently picked up a head from a British car (MGs, MINI, Austin) collector estate. I am in Midwest of America (Wisconsin)

I would like to rebuild it and put it on my 1071 cooper s if possible. Does anyone of information on rebuilding? Installing? Head shows no visible cracks and has a couple thread inserts. Head looks stock with no porting done.

Part Numbers:

In casting:
DERRINGTON BARWELL 722149
2A609
?A790558

Stamped in end of head:

Valves (approximate diameter)

1.25"
1.125"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:21 am 

Ok, I'll jump, even though I don't have experience of those heads, but why swap your own cylinder head for something else that has smaller valves than you currently have?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:20 pm 

Thanks for the reply and good question.

The current head on engine is not the correct head it is a late model smog head with air pump ports and needs rebuilding. I was just going to get a new head that fits engine and year. (minispares, calver, med). BUT this head came up for sale and it was local. Mini parts in the Midwest of America are not exactly common - let's just say non-existent.

Since the car needs a head and has a racing heritage I am attempting to restore it using racing parts of the era.

According to the web site http://www.morris-minor-conversions.co. ... 4534590897 it has information. For some reason I can only read it in 'cache' format and cannot access all the information or the pictures. I would REALLY like to find this Mark Foster person mentioned in the web site. It mentions porting templates.

BUT quoting the site,

"The MK1 Barwell was barely better than a standard iron head. However during the 1960’s there was a partnership between the legendary tuners Derrington & Barwell Motors. The need to offer a really decent 5 port option was fully appreciated & the MK2 head was born. The head is actually marked Barwell - Derrington This head is equally at home on a small or large bore engine & once ported correctly can give a really appreciable increase in power.

The MK2 head shown in the photo's blow is in original New Old Stock condition & has never had any porting work carried out, and is complete with valves, guides & original Derrington template for modifying the chambers.

My thanks go to Mark Forster for the photo's & information and was for sale."

Thus hoping someone it this community has knowledge of the Derrington & Barwell Motors or above web site or how to rebuild...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:09 pm 

That smog head aint as bad as it seems and would work better, but still wrong look on your engine.
Here's a link for you: http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.uk/barwell.htm

Ps. Mark Forster is the one running this site ;)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:44 am 

mini mad swede - thanks for the info!

I have gone to site you mentioned - good information.

I have been told the smog head is a good performing head. BUT if I have to rebuild a head or buy new I want something period correct. 11 stud head not 9.

I attached a picture will try to attach some more.

There must be someone out there have to detailed knowledge of these heads becuase this site talks about head porting templates: http://www.morris-minor-conversions.co. ... 4534590897, but I still trying to figure out why i cann't access.

I will try to get in contact with Mark.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:50 am 

valve side picture

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:17 pm 
Site Admin

If it is a late spec Barwell head as illustrated above it can be modified to perform as well as a 163 / 940. I think I sent you some pics this morning.

M