mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Italian Job Minis
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:40 am 

fricsman wrote:

Think David Morton's set had to be converted from MK 2's so they could be registered with the G plates issued by the DVLA to match the film plates.

Which might seem unecessary and expensive but I'm sure had to be done to be legal! (Quite a few Mk1s were registered on a G plate though!) One of them was a pretty original red/black Mk2 998 Cooper from Lancs, which I saw before it was 'converted'. Here's the Brian Johnston vid (where they strongly imply they're genuine! :shock: )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxFOhVq8dM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:59 pm 

Michael Caine's 86 today! :shock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:00 pm 

Still an interesting watch - the Making Of The Italian Job... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4euNwH6 ... v98SO5n1Do

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:04 pm 

Front suspension's not looking too well!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:20 pm 

Pete wrote:
Michael Caine's 86 today! :shock:

Not a lotta people know that!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:52 pm 

Apparently, he was a nasho (a national serviceman) too and fought for 18 months in Korea in the early 50's

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:26 pm 

I'm sure someone will be able to clarify, but I remember reading an interview in Miniworld years ago with the author of an Italian Job book. He said some of the cars were apparently left in Turin. Is there any truth in that?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:46 pm 

BigWig wrote:
I'm sure someone will be able to clarify, but I remember reading an interview in Miniworld years ago with the author of an Italian Job book. He said some of the cars were apparently left in Turin. Is there any truth in that?

Watch this from 1.04-10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4euNwH6 ... v98SO5n1Do

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:34 pm 

fricsman wrote:
Pete wrote:
Yes there have been loads of individual replicas made over the years, and at least three 'sets' , the first I saw at 'Mini 30' at Silverstone were the Davies brothers I think? Not sure if this is the first or second set they made that are in Hereford..

Possibly the Davies brothers first set which they sold. Pandora's FMS must be part of their second set.
Think David Morton's set had to be converted from MK 2's so they could be registered with the G plates issued by the DVLA to match the film plates.
...I always understood that David Mortons 3 were basically put together with bits left over from the original cars plus new parts..?!.. as i said once before a long time back i wonder why they didnt use mk2 S types as filming was in 68 a year after the mk 2 S types came out ??.. as interesting they were the only mk 1 S types that i ever saw with a G Plate ??.. foxy52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:00 pm 

foxy52 wrote:
fricsman wrote:
Pete wrote:
Yes there have been loads of individual replicas made over the years, and at least three 'sets' , the first I saw at 'Mini 30' at Silverstone were the Davies brothers I think? Not sure if this is the first or second set they made that are in Hereford..

Possibly the Davies brothers first set which they sold. Pandora's FMS must be part of their second set.
...I always understood that David Mortons 3 were basically put together with bits left over from the original cars plus new parts..?!.. as i said once before a long time back i wonder why they didnt use mk2 S types as filming was in 68 a year after the mk 2 S types came out ??.. as interesting they were the only mk 1 S types that i ever saw with a G Plate ??.. foxy52

BMC charged the production team retail price for the 'last year's model' Mk1s, about thirty were bought in all. They refused to give them any worthwhile discount at the time. Quite a few Mk1s about on G plates, seen a few at shows over the years ;)

Attachment:
IJ 0f0a.jpg

Attachment:
IJ 65_n.jpg

Attachment:
IJ ITALIAN JOB coopers_sewercov1.jpg

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next