mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Italian Job Minis
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:28 am 

Driving through Hereford yesterday and noticed three IJ Mini replicas with "correct" registrations in a car showroom on the street which was a bit of a surprise! Unfortunately already late for a family meet in Ross on Wye so couldn't go around the block for a better look. Anyone know which set these are?

Post subject: Re: Italian Job Minis
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:25 pm 

My old Austin 998 cooper (FMS 282D) is currently part of an Italian Job fleet. I think it's the guy who runs TheItalianjobminis.com who has it

My kids bought me a large format mini book form the local bargain bookshop for my birthday the other year, and flicking through it I saw the 3 cars and something made me look at it for a while. Took me ages to realise it was my old reg I recognised. :)

Funny thing about that car is the original green log book had it as a 970 Cooper (not S), obviously a typo at the local registration office, as the heritage cert confirmed it was always a 998. Interestingly it was first registered to a Brian Wilson - I could have made a fortune off a Beach Boys fan :lol:

Al

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:27 pm 

Here it is:

http://www.theitalianjobminis.com/Museu ... don_1.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:37 pm 

Pandora, probably not that set that I saw in Hereford yesterday as they definitely had the film registrations on them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:24 pm 

I think he has a set of 'display plates', but I think there is also another set of cars doing the rounds the owner of which bought the original registrations from DVLA.

Al

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:11 pm 

In rivet counter mode I can't help thinking that the boot script on FMS is badly misplaced.
You would think after going to all the trouble of an Italian job evocation they would get that right.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:27 am 

Pandora wrote:
I think he has a set of 'display plates', but I think there is also another set of cars doing the rounds the owner of which bought the original registrations from DVLA.

Al

Your car is part of a set built by the three Davies brothers (and whilst I am David Davies I am not the Dave Davies brother!) This set was the second set built by the brothers. The set which legally carry the film registration numbers were built by David Morton up in the North East and feature in a TV programme being driven by Brian Johnson of AC DC fame. Maybe it was the set which include your car which I saw yesterday in Hereford.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:34 am 

Yes there have been loads of individual replicas made over the years, and at least three 'sets' , the first I saw at 'Mini 30' at Silverstone were the Davies brothers I think? Not sure if this is the first or second set they made that are in Hereford..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:57 am 

Story here...

https://www.facebook.com/11119316228643 ... 813572246/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:30 pm 

Pete wrote:
Yes there have been loads of individual replicas made over the years, and at least three 'sets' , the first I saw at 'Mini 30' at Silverstone were the Davies brothers I think? Not sure if this is the first or second set they made that are in Hereford..

Possibly the Davies brothers first set which they sold. Pandora's FMS must be part of their second set.
Think David Morton's set had to be converted from MK 2's so they could be registered with the G plates issued by the DVLA to match the film plates.