mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:58 pm 

Absolutely made my afternoon.................... Dankeshon Surfy!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:29 pm 

Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!
JohnA wrote:
Wasn't that Terry Dean ?

I think he was more remembered for running the streets in his underpants! :oops: :oops: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:53 pm 

Bit younger tahn you guys, its his daughter Kim that does or for me...
https://www.krugercowne.com/kim-wilde/ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:38 am 

Supersonic wrote:
Pleased to say no, Reginald Leonard Smith MBE is alive and well God bless him :D

Alan

Still touring with the Solid Gold Rock-N-Roll Show , Seen the show loads of times and he can still sing :D , He used to tour with Joe Brown a few years ago , Joe used to say `I have brought my dad along with me :lol: :lol: ` He always finishes off by taking a piece of paper out of his pocket an reading the names of those singers that have passed while singing a Billy Fury song ! , Obvious Billy was a close friend ,
He as also wrote Songs for Status Quo ,Lulu , Casuals and is daughter Kim , The Liverpool explosion in the early 60s finished most of the 50s Rock n Rollers off .
Attached Marty receiving his MBE and a cover photo of Billy Fury,

Alan the solid gold rock n roll show are touring 2018-2019 and are at Liverpool in June , Come on over :D :D :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:52 am 

goff wrote:
Supersonic wrote:
Pleased to say no, Reginald Leonard Smith MBE is alive and well God bless him :D

Alan

Still touring with the Solid Gold Rock-N-Roll Show , Seen the show loads of times and he can still sing :D , He used to tour with Joe Brown a few years ago , Joe used to say `I have brought my dad along with me :lol: :lol: ` He always finishes off by taking a piece of paper out of his pocket an reading the names of those singers that have passed while singing a Billy Fury song ! , Obvious Billy was a close friend ,
He as also wrote Songs for Status Quo ,Lulu , Casuals and is daughter Kim , The Liverpool explosion in the early 60s finished most of the 50s Rock n Rollers off .
Attached Marty receiving his MBE and a cover photo of Billy Fury,

Alan the solid gold rock n roll show are touring 2018-2019 and are at Liverpool in June , Come on over :D :D :D

Goff,

We have a son who lives in Liverpool so may fit that in with one of our visits over to see Andrew. Talking about Kim Wilde, we always play Mel & Kim singing Rockin Around The Christmas Tree at Christmas time, that always gets the women up to dance :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:05 pm 

Supersonic wrote:
What a star, was he a very late 50's star or early 60's star? In my book a british super star. I remember his classic song teenager in love. God what a lovely period, love to do it all again :D :D
....i do..along with The Vernon girls on "Oh Boy"...i was only about 8-10 years old but my older sis used to love watching a young Cliff and the Welsh singer whos name i cant remember at the mo...early rock an roll an Skiffle !!!.....i thought it so old fashioned in the latter mod era lol.. foxy52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:17 pm 

foxy52 wrote:
Supersonic wrote:
What a star, was he a very late 50's star or early 60's star? In my book a british super star. I remember his classic song teenager in love. God what a lovely period, love to do it all again :D :D
....i do..along with The Vernon girls on "Oh Boy"...i was only about 8-10 years old but my older sis used to love watching a young Cliff and the Welsh singer whos name i cant remember at the mo...early rock an roll an Skiffle !!!.....i thought it so old fashioned in the latter mod era lol.. foxy52

Foxy, was that Welsh skiffle singer called Ron Williams? :D :D

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm 

foxy52 wrote:
Supersonic wrote:

Didn't Marty Wilde marry one of The Vernon Girls? Joyce?

Marty Wilde and Billy Fury (among others) were from the same (Larry Parnes?) stable weren't they hence the similar stage names. It was thought in those days that you had to have a suitable, strong stage name in order to get anywhere - hence Tommy Steele and Cliff Richard and many others of that period also changing names.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:02 pm 

Larry Parnes was the Simon Cowell of the late 50s-early 60s. He supposedly named his boys to reflect what he considered to be their sexual characteristics. Among those he managed were Billy Fury, Vince Eager, Dickie Pride, Lance Fortune, Duffy Power, Johnny Gentle, Terry Dene, Nelson Keene, Georgie Fame, Tommy Bruce and Joe Brown.

Here's another couple of my favourite old tunes from that era

Vince Taylor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2j7sLUDkDM

Gene Vincent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axHPH9ltTHI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

Funniest thing was that he tried to get Joe Brown to use the name Elmer Twitch. :lol: