mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:19 pm
Posts: 57
I know this isn't directly car related, but I'm hoping someone on here might have some experience to help point me in the right direction...

I have just moved into a new place, it has a single garage (6 x 3m). I will be storing my mini project in here over the winter. The garage is attached on one of the front corners only. It is a mess to be honest, and will be fixed in the next 12 months. The long term plan is to demolish the garage and rebuild from scratch as a fully detached garage, as it has questionable brickwork and asbestos roof. The immediate requirement is to make it good for the next 12 months. I am practical, but work in a office 9-5. I am happy to do this work, but will pay someone to build the new garage as part of a bigger scope of work.

The existing garage has a single joist running across the 3m in the middle, which supports a 6m joist that runs front to back. The 6m joist is built into the walls at either end, and is very wet and starting to rot I think. My concerns are will it last the winter and is the asbestos ok, should I seal it? How? The source of the damp seems to be a dodgy gutter than I have already fixed.

Option 1) Remove roof entirely and fit new non-asbestos roof with new timber. My concern with this is added cost for a short term solution, and how I would match where the garage meets the rest of the property.

Option 2) Add a couple of extra 3m joists using galvanised hangers, to support the 6m joist. My concern is that I have never used these and would worry how to attach them to existing brick or questionable timber.

Option 3) Leave it and hope it will be ok and won't collapse onto my car...

Any thoughts or advice appreciated,
Rich

Link to album of a few photos...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/68XXUobVPWCZvGE2A


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:01 am
Posts: 180
Get a screw driver poke the damp end piece,if it does not go in more than half way you should be ok.

If you poke and theres no solid wood get some joist hangers to suit rap around and secure to wall

Asbestos roof is ok as long as it is not disturbed (ie broken).asbestos you have got is low risk as the fibres are encased in cement


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 pm
Posts: 3855
Location: North East
What about a couple of acro (acrow) props to hold up the suspect joist as a temporary measure. These can be hired from your local hire shop and there are plenty for sale on Ebay, or if you know a friendly builder who has a couple of spares you could borrow.

On the asbestos, this can be a specialised removal job. I would get advice from your local building inspector as to the best way to get it removed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:40 pm
Posts: 283
Not sure which county you're in but West Berks take asbestos at the local tip but you have to make an appointment... there is a limit but it's set at enough to cover a single garage!!

I would prop it for now and spend as little as possible and try not to budge it at all so you dont get any more water issues... I was in your position 3 years ago :)

_________________
Cheers

Kevin


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 579
The easiest way to fix this is reasonably simple

The three meter cross joist that is soft at each end simply add timber extending back from the column support maybe a meter length or 1.5 meters and bolt it to the joist that is already there, it looks like there is enough room to sit another section of timber on brick column support.

Might be a bit heath robinson but it will be an easy short term fix

Or you acro prob the 6 meter beam each side of the three meter one and remove and replace, from the images it doesn't look like the cross beam is fixed to the roof

Disposing of asbestos can be a PITA

_________________
The best repairs go un-noticed

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:01 pm
Posts: 2056
Location: Dunfermline, Fife
Re the asbestos.

The HSE website is down at the moment, but the guide you want is Asbestos Essentials A14 - removing Asbestos cement (AC) sheets, gutters etc and dismantling a small AC structure.

Local arrangements for disposal vary across the country, so ask you local council, but the most important things are:

leave it as is, if you can.

if you have to demolish it, Do it from below (so you don't fall through it),

Soak it first or do it in the rain as it stops the fibres becoming airborne (they are only harmful if you breath them in),

Try not to break the sheets, keep them whole, and lay them onto a sheet of polythene then wrap them up well.

If possible, get the council to collect them, rather than taking them to the tip yourself.

I used to deal with so many queries about asbestos garage roofs....... It's been a while! :lol:

Wear a good quality close fitting FFP3 mask while doing it, as well as a disposable paper suit, (take the mask off AFTER the suit)

Al


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 579
Pandora wrote:
Re the asbestos.



I used to deal with so many queries about asbestos garage roofs....... It's been a while! :lol:



Al



I remember lol :oops: :oops:

_________________
The best repairs go un-noticed

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:01 pm
Posts: 2056
Location: Dunfermline, Fife
Ha ha, I'd forgotten that! Something to do with a moaning postie, wasn't it?

Don't think I was too 'Elf & safety, was I? LOL :lol:

Al


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:34 pm
Posts: 1278
Location: Leeds
Doesn't look that bad but i'd bodge it up with some extra timber or acro's for winter. There's not a lot of weight on the roof so timber should suffice.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:19 pm
Posts: 57
Van13 wrote:
Get a screw driver poke the damp end piece,if it does not go in more than half way you should be ok.

If you poke and theres no solid wood get some joist hangers to suit rap around and secure to wall

Asbestos roof is ok as long as it is not disturbed (ie broken).asbestos you have got is low risk as the fibres are encased in cement

Thanks for the advice. I have had a poke around, and I can't get my screwriver in that far anywhere. So I think if I sort the source of moisture I should be ok. Cheers

surfblue63 wrote:
What about a couple of acro (acrow) props to hold up the suspect joist as a temporary measure. These can be hired from your local hire shop and there are plenty for sale on Ebay, or if you know a friendly builder who has a couple of spares you could borrow.

On the asbestos, this can be a specialised removal job. I would get advice from your local building inspector as to the best way to get it removed.

Props is a great idea. Either as a extra support, or temporary support whilst I repair. Thanks

snoopy64 wrote:
Not sure which county you're in but West Berks take asbestos at the local tip but you have to make an appointment... there is a limit but it's set at enough to cover a single garage!!

I would prop it for now and spend as little as possible and try not to budge it at all so you dont get any more water issues... I was in your position 3 years ago :)

I haven't looked into disposal in too much detail as I would prefer to concentrate on surviving the winter...

nick@dunsdale wrote:
The easiest way to fix this is reasonably simple

The three meter cross joist that is soft at each end simply add timber extending back from the column support maybe a meter length or 1.5 meters and bolt it to the joist that is already there, it looks like there is enough room to sit another section of timber on brick column support.

Might be a bit heath robinson but it will be an easy short term fix

Or you acro prob the 6 meter beam each side of the three meter one and remove and replace, from the images it doesn't look like the cross beam is fixed to the roof

Disposing of asbestos can be a PITA

Good advice. You are right, there is enough room to fit another 3m beam for extra load capacity. And you are correct, it isn't attached to the roof.
Unfortuntely the 6m is the joist that is soft at each end, and is also the one that the asbestos it mounted to, so I don't want to touch it.

Pandora wrote:
Re the asbestos.

The HSE website is down at the moment, but the guide you want is Asbestos Essentials A14 - removing Asbestos cement (AC) sheets, gutters etc and dismantling a small AC structure.

Local arrangements for disposal vary across the country, so ask you local council, but the most important things are:

leave it as is, if you can.

if you have to demolish it, Do it from below (so you don't fall through it),

Soak it first or do it in the rain as it stops the fibres becoming airborne (they are only harmful if you breath them in),

Try not to break the sheets, keep them whole, and lay them onto a sheet of polythene then wrap them up well.

If possible, get the council to collect them, rather than taking them to the tip yourself.

I used to deal with so many queries about asbestos garage roofs....... It's been a while! :lol:

Wear a good quality close fitting FFP3 mask while doing it, as well as a disposable paper suit, (take the mask off AFTER the suit)

Al

Thanks for the advice and pointing towards HSE website. Cheers

steve1071 wrote:
Doesn't look that bad but i'd bodge it up with some extra timber or acro's for winter. There's not a lot of weight on the roof so timber should suffice.

Thanks for the advice. You have made me feel better about it not being too bad.

Cheers for all the advice everyone.
I will see if I can find some acro supports somewhere.
I will add an extra 3m joist next to the existing, and maybe look at adding a couple extra at 25% and 75% of 6m beam length.
After chatting to a friend at work, he has suggested some roof sealer (or similar) applied to the inside to help waterproof for the winter.

Thanks again for all the advice. I at least now feel like I have a plan! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], pdb and 25 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Localized by Maël Soucaze © 2010 phpBB.fr