mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 pm 

From the Express website...

"Derelict Mini Cooper S sells for £20,000 at auction - Here’s why the car is worth so much"
The car, discovered in Stokesley, North Yorkshire, was auctioned off without a reserve by Mathewsons.
It was expected to sell for between £3,000 and £10,000 - but a huge level of interest resulted in the old banger selling for £20,000.
Derek Mathewson, from the North Yorkshire auction house, said: “It is unusual but was not tremendously surprising.
"The Mini had been parked in the garage of a 1930s home for the past 40 years.
"Over the years the garage roof had collapsed and the Mini essentially became a shed within a shed, with the boot and rear used to store kindling.
"But despite the condition, it is a genuine Mini Cooper S which is why there was so much hullabaloo.
"It probably has a few salvageable panels but it will need a completely new shell which I am told will cost around £11,000.
"When it came to auctioning the Mini it was an unknown quantity. Most thought it would be worth around £5,000. I thought £10,000 plus, but I didn’t know how much plus.
"It ended up selling for £18,000 plus fees which does seem outrageous when you look at the vehicle, but a Mini Cooper S in good condition is worth £50,000 these days.
"That’s the market and I’ll be very pleased to see it back on the road."
https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/ca ... on-old/amp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:44 pm 

I had to laugh at the usual Pub Expert comments. :roll: :lol:

Well it is the Express.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:48 pm 

Yes, everybody is an expert aren't they. "It isn't a Cooper S because it doesn't have the RH tank" blah blah blah :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:57 pm 

Discussed on the auction thread, starting around page 31.

The cynic in me might think the outrageous final sale price is a shill bid for publicity purposes... there was apparently a TV crew making a show about it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:22 pm 

I don't know.. If he thinks he can get 50, 20 should see it done, £10k profit, what's not to like

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:26 pm 

I seriously doubt that car could be fully restored by anybody counting their time for £20,000.
There are an awful lot of rare and expensive parts to be purchased to make a good job of that.
I really don't think whoever bought it will make a profit from it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:30 pm 

Also it's definately not an S as it hasn't got an S badge above the Austin Cooper badge........even though the two fixing holes are visible in the picture after the Cooper badge where they should be :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:56 pm 

I live near Stokesley and put a card in the window of the newsagents on the high street years ago asking if anyone had an old mini stashed in their garage :roll:

Shows they're still out there.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:19 pm 

They are Richard, but auction results like this does not help trying to buy them for sensible prices.

Be interesting to hear what my contact says when he hears about this result, comparing it to HOY .... gonna push the price of the 1071 up for certain :roll: :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:37 pm 

Seen a few old garages round here where I'm convinced there must be something interesting lurking inside. But I'm just too 'polite' to go snooping around someone's property. Funny to think that this S was there all the time. Always thought these serial barn finders on eBay must be people who are less 'polite' and go snooping or cold calling etc. Guess the rewards are there if you can do it. Maybe if you worked at DVLA you'd have access to a treasure map of SORN or long forgotten vehicles.