mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:17 pm 

I'm sticking with rubber couplings on HOY due to originality. This, may be to my detriment, I'll admit.

I've got H/S on the other 'S' and have to say, have been excellent with no problems whatsoever.

BMC didn't change to H/S for no reason !

I've often wondered why autos were given H/S couplings ? Just as well as I'm sure that many Cooper S H/S set ups are actually auto ones :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:34 pm 

I wondered at the time why they changed Andy but just assumed that it was because of the heat or oil saturation. I don't agree that the rubbers were hard to change either. I always considered the cush-drive effect was a positive. In fact replacing the direct drive to a cush-drive (cushioned drove train) was a positive bonus on our 70's Nortons.

I'm sure it's due to the hard use that an S could be subject to. As to why the auto uses them....., no idea. But wonder if it's just to give a more positive direct drive. Ain't got a clue

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:40 pm 

I used to convert to Hardy Spicer as more reliable than rubber couplings, easier to fit/remove (especially in motorsport situations)....plus give more clearance when LCB and 3 into 1 exhaust manifolds are fitted.

Note: MED and Swiftune also do output adaptors to convert the standard pot joint differentials and the Quaife ATB to Hardy Spicer couplings.
The Pot Joint to Hardy Spicer conversion was recently covered in a Mini Magazine article (Nov 2018)...."The later Pot Joints are capable of transmitting high power outputs and are simple and reliable but they won't fit through the subframe when assembled. Removing the driveshaft from the joint is simple on the bench but can be difficult on the car and messy if you split the joint. With Hardy Spicers there is the ability to disconnect and remove the driveshafts without getting covered in grease or to drain the oil."
MED:
http://www.med-engineering.co.uk/med-ha ... r-adaptors
Swiftune:
https://swiftune.com/parts-shop/swiftun ... ffs-2.html