mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Seat belt suppliers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:59 pm 

Evening chaps
I’m looking for some new period looking lap strap seat belts for my moke.
Any recommend suppliers please
D

Post subject: Re: Seat belt suppliers
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:20 am 

A few years ago I did some research on the requirements for seat belts for English Mokes and this seems to be the situation.

Many owners of English Mokes do have two point lap belts fitted. But I think most only have them because some MoT testers are not 100% sure of the rules and because some English Mokes may not have the correct anchorage points.

Here is the background to the fitting of seat belts in the UK. During the early 1960s, a lot of motor manufacturers began offering seat belts as an option for both front and rear seats. Seat belt anchorage points began to be fitted as standard so motorists could also buy and fit belts as an aftermarket accessory if they chose to. In 1965, it became compulsory to fit front seat belts to cars built in mainland Europe and the UK followed in 1967.

So the key dates are:

* 1965 Britain requires the fitting of seat belt anchorage points in new cars.

* 1967 Britain requires belts to be fitted to front seats of new cars.

* 1968 In Britain the law was changed to require all post 1965 cars to be fitted with front belts retrospectively.

The key date seems to be 1st January 1965 as all cars and light vans first used on or after that date had to be fitted with seat belts for the driver's seat and outer passenger seat (if fitted).

It is also important to point out that the UK law requires three point belts from 1967 (and retrofitted to all vehicles first used after 1st January 1965) so lap belts cannot be used.

Ironically this means that if your Moke was registered during 1964, then there is no requirement for any seat belts. But if it was registered anytime after, it needs to have three point belts.

In a nutshell, it means that only "B" registered Mokes don't require seat belts for the MoT. Roger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:35 am 

Thanks for the info
Mines early 65, I’ve had anchor points fitted as per MK2 mokes.
I’d fit seat belts anyway I know in a crash they won’t help much in a moke but the will stop you falling off the side :lol:
D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:00 pm 

I had a set of three point belts made for my Moke by Quickfit SBS but I have seen other seatbelt suppliers discussed on here. I supplied them with all the original Kangol fittings and they made them up.

The webbing for English Moke belts needs to be much longer than the webbing on normal Minis.

According to my order notes, the belt upper length should measure 275cm from the centre of rear fixing hole to the centre of the lower fixing hole. There should be an additional 35cm length of belt for use as adjustment with a slider bar. The lower belt length for the buckle should measure 60cm from the centre of the lower fixing hole on the transmission tunnel to the end of the belt. This then allows it to slide between the steel seats. But please double check on your Moke.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:26 pm 

Safetybeltservices.co.uk at Keysoe?