mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1966 1275 S
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:57 am 

Advice please.

15 years ago I bought a 1966 1275 S. No seats or trim or engine and reshelled at some point in its life.

It will need a complete floor. It has all the S running gear, master cylinder, etc.

I have the V5 and the Heretage cert.

I have over the years aquired a Mk1 1275 S engine with a 1128 4 sync box and the correct original front and back seats in excellent condition.

It will be going on Ebay.

My dilemma...to sell it as one lot or as three separate items....shell....engine...seats. At this moment I need to raise the most money possible.

Thanks in anticipation.

Pete

Post subject: Re: 1966 1275 S
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:11 am 

Pete, from experience, I would advise to sell as a complete package. That way you will not end up with something hard to move on. This would be my approach. :)

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:56 pm 

Probably make more as one unit, but depends on if your auctioning or having a fixed price.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:04 pm 

Maybe I'm wrong here... but a reshell with non-original engine. All you have that can really be called a '66 1275 S is a Vin tag, right?

That's not a knock on the car, but all these parts are valuable to people - the shell, engine and VIN/registration. I would think this stuff is worth more separated than sold together as a 'bitsa.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:15 pm 

Hello Highnumbers,

Arn't most Mini's bitsa's, but I understand your sentiment, I was going to sell the parts separately but thought I would pose the question.

If you think about it...If I sell the parts separately they would make more bitsa's....its never ending really.

So few Mini's these days can be totally original.

I appreciate all the input I have recieved...thank you

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:54 pm 

36inter wrote:
Hello Highnumbers,

Arn't most Mini's bitsa's, but I understand your sentiment, I was going to sell the parts separately but thought I would pose the question.

If you think about it...If I sell the parts separately they would make more bitsa's....its never ending really.

So few Mini's these days can be totally original.

I appreciate all the input I have recieved...thank you

Pete

Not always, though! Mine is the original shell, motor, VIN and everything else - but maybe its the exception to the rule?

I do understand what you're saying there, and again I didn't mean that as a knock on the car at all, it may be worth more in separate pieces, while also avoiding the scrutiny of anybody looking for an all-original car.

I guess on the other hand, it's often difficult to sell just a VIN plate w/reg, and that's a controversial topic anyway. Maybe they are better together.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Highnumbers said:
"it's often difficult to sell just a VIN plate w/reg, and that's a controversial topic anyway.

Of course its bloody controversial, ITS TOTALLY ILLEGAL!

For what it's worth, selling the above bits together as an unfinnished project is by far the best way to go, it is more complete than many so called "Cooper S's".

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am 

Pete, if your shell is genuine Cooper S with chassis plate, V5c and matching Heritage Certificate that makes it the real deal. So what about replacement engine, gearbox and interior. I fitted a later 1128 gearbox to my early Mk2 Cooper S without a worry. :D :D

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:53 pm 

mk1 wrote:
Highnumbers said:
"it's often difficult to sell just a VIN plate w/reg, and that's a controversial topic anyway.

For what it's worth, selling the above bits together as an unfinnished project is by far the best way to go, it is more complete than many so called "Cooper S's".

:lol: :lol:

Fair enough, there's that fact as well!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:59 pm 

[quote="Highnumbers"][quote="mk1"]Highnumbers said:

IN THE UK ONLY...... Don’t know about other jurisdictions, but in OZ you can’t even register your car using the (UK) chassisi plate (so called VIN plate)

The authorities require an identification mark that’s permanently attached to the vehicle. In my case they accept the Body Number because that’s welded on... They preferr a number actually stamped into the shell...

I’m sure I’d face no repercussions if I advertised the Chassis plate.

Cheers, Ian