mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Pickup yr's
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:47 pm 

The same analogy applies to Police Coopers and S's Alan. They're rarer that works cars by far. But alas, they languish in the 'also ran' league regards in to value I feel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:51 pm 

Supersonic wrote:
Today, a genuine early Pick-Up is ten times more rare than a Mk1 Cooper S. The problem now is this fact is known, I'm a big Pick-Up fan and would like an early child :D :D

Alan

It's a real shame that many (or actually most) '60's' pick-ups (and vans) are nothing more than 70's or early 80's tax exempt ringers :roll:

Ironically, many of them would now be legitimately tax exempt now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:56 pm 

Peter and Andrew, your points are well made. Hell, it would be nice to turn back time :D :D :D

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:31 pm 

Supersonic wrote:
Peter and Andrew, your points are well made. Hell, it would be nice to turn back time :D :D :D

Alan

It would also be nice to still get brand new rust free examples still in their wax coating at these prices.... :lol:

Alsop's Garage, Newport in 1968 with a BMC sales forecourt of new unregistered Minivans at £475, a Mini Pickup and other BMC Commercial vehicles including the rarer 'Austin' versions of the Minor van all available at bargain prices.....

Photo: Heritage Commercials magazine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:06 pm 

You are all quite right about how hard it is to find genuine early Pickups.

It took 3 months of work to get mine from Portugal earlier this year.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:28 am 

woodypup59 wrote:
Well done Mab, for getting data from the old pickup international website.

Jon Woodward put a hell of a lot of work and money into that website and it was a shame it has gone. The FaceAche page using the same name isn't a patch on it, and anyway is nothing to do with Jon.

I wonder if it possible to get as much info as poss from there and re-host it somewhere else, Jon's copyright notwithstanding of course.

This is Dee from Mini Pick-up International. I jumped in to defend what we do.
I really need to say that am really disappointed in you Colin.
As one of the older and well respected members of the old forum you should know both sides of the story.
The forum was not just Jon's work. A great amount of work was done by Bart Vanreusel from Belgium plus all other the members contributed sharing their pictures and restoration projects.
Jon decided to close the forum with no warning or early notice so we could save our work. Many members lost valuable information and access to their pictures.
Jon also sold the biggest Pick-up brochure collection when I begged him to arrange something else so they could stay for the members.
Surely its his right to do whatever he wants but when you proclaim yourself as leader and have the responsibility of running a community of people you don't act selfishly.
Yes the website had a running cost but I was running a similar forum website at the time with almost 1/3 of the cost Jon was claiming.
After the forum went down I contacted Jon so me and my team could possibly run the forum again!
He asked for money and I said to myself scrap it we can do better on our own.
Jon has a history of doing stuff then giving up without notice and disappearing. Same thing he did with his podifold project.
The Mini Pick-up International Club is blossoming on facebook and we're doing better than ever, with a legacy and a team of people to securely run it for future generations even if something happens to me.
Believe me there's more info now in our group than in the old forum.
Everybody's welcome to join and contribute including you Colin. I lost your email but through common friends I tried to contact you and ask you rejoin and help the community. Hope my msg got to you. If not I'll be in Bristol for IMM2019 with the Club's first proper IMM stand.
Hope you drop by for a pint or two.

Dimitris - Dee

you re all welcome :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MiniPickUpClub/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:36 pm 

I like to jump in on Dee's reaction.
The facebook group was actually started by Jon but at around the same time he closed the forum he left the group.
Because the group had no moderator I took it over at that time to keep the group safe. As a friend of Bart I knew what he contributed to the forum and contacted him to talk about the future of the Pick-up International Club and we decided to get Dimitris to join the team.
With the 3 of us we tried to safe what we could on information from the old wiki and are working to make an updated and more correct pup wiki as in the meantime a lot of information on the pick-ups is collected.

Dieter