mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:36 pm 

I have searched but can't seem to find the answer. :oops:

I have been offered a MK1 Mini Seven Countryman (Dec '60), it is in a poor state(no idea of value), I'm kind of still tempted by, but the current owner wants to keep the number plate on it!

So what happens to the V5 & do I have to apply for a new number plate? Then the DVLA provide me one from that same month/year? :?: Does it make the Heritage Cert invalid too.

Thanks
Angus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 pm 

Before he sells the car to you, he has to fill in a cherished number retention form. He pays the fee and gets a new V5 with the newly allocated number. He sells you the car that now has a new 'age related' number attached. All the changeover palaver is down to him, not you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:44 pm 

You also used to have the car road worthy and mot’d before could transfer number, although not sure how this works with the mot exemption,
The dvla will issue an age related number but it will be non transferable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:46 pm 

You’ll get allocated a number that will have been obviously re-allocated if you see what I mean .. I don’t think I’d take on the costs of a major restoration on that basis.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:01 pm 

I think that Daz means that the current owner will have to get it MoT'd/roadworthy(? and taxed?) and not you. Just a quick one for JohnV if you'll excuse the phrase John. When you say that the donor car will get a re-allocated number. Do you mean that it will get a number that's previously been allocated to/fixed/registered to another (presumably a 1960) car? I was always under the impression that only UN-issued numbers were allocated during a cherished number transfer.

How things have changed since the days of the County registrations. My PL number plate came from a 1930 Riley that a friend of mine owned in 1970, while restoring one from two heaps. We did the simple paperwork between us and took it to Berkshire Licensing office and he asked the kindly old lady running the show if he could have a suitable number, reflecting the age of the old Riley. Back she came with all the docs and said to him over her half timbered spectacles '..... I have BL55 (or something equally as nice!!) that has not been issued would that be suitable.....?' He's still got it today. And I've still got the PL

Last edited by Peter Laidler on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:07 pm 

Is the number plate - 1 FFY? :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:18 pm 

It will get a non transferable age related plate, but these are pretty obvious .. like ??? XSU or the like . I think SU was a north Scottish registration so maybe they have a lot of previously unallocated ones. It seems that a lot of the MGAs I see have these!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:22 pm 

hanlminiman wrote:
Is the number plate - 1 FFY? :D

No it's xxTR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:29 pm 

It is up to the current owner to remove the plate. They would then be issued with a new number for the car. However if it has been off the road for sometime I doubt if the owner would be able to get the number off of the car.

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle ... number-off

Quote:
Eligibility
The vehicle must:
be registered with DVLA in the UK
be able to move under its own power
be of a type that needs an MOT or heavy goods vehicle (HGV) test certificate
have been taxed or had a SORN in place continuously for the past 5 years
be taxed currently (or have a SORN in place - if it’s had a SORN for more than 5 years, it must be taxed)
be available for inspection
DVLA will check your application and contact you if your vehicle needs an inspection.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:44 pm 

Many old plates were transferred over in the past by sticking the numberplates temporarily on a similar borrowed roadworthy donor car to get the necessary MOT documents, etc......if there was an inspection it was only a glance at the chassis plate.