mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:57 pm 

Jono wrote:
Goff,

Point of order mate - 'Wearside Jack' was not a Geordie!!

He was a Mackem

Sunderland :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:21 am 

Jono wrote:
I'm Brampton way Mike but visit Corby regularly

By pure coincidence I spotted a Mini down a driveway last Wednesday night when cycling through the village in the dark after visiting the Wheatsheaf across the bridge - yours? It was dark at the time but silver on black plates and (?) tweed grey?

I've a Mk1, a Mk 4 and a pale blue Elan + 2 and white S2 Alfa Spider which you may have seen about.

do you know Mr Winder?

Jon

Yep, that would of been mine...unless there's another I don't know about! I'm just opposite the pub car park but I've no off road (or on road come to that) parking at mine so I keep my assorted stuff over the road where the Mini was, Mini in the garden, Land Rover and my Skoda dumped somewhere around about on the road.

I can't say I've noticed your jallopies around, I'm sure I'd of remembered if I had spotted the Mini's or the Elan...Alfa maybe not so much!

I don't think I know a Mr Winder, though if he's in the village I might know him by sight if not name?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:28 pm 

For those interested in football, I went to school with Terry Cochrane, Clifford Healy and his sister Sheila Healy. Terry played for Middlesbrough and Clifford’s son David Healy MBE also did very well in football. The Healy family’s father was a Welshman and was a very respected Pigeon Racer and a true gentleman :)

A very sporting family and nice people as well let me add :D

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:42 pm 

Supersonic wrote:
For those interested in football, I went to school with Terry Cochrane, Clifford Healy and his sister Sheila Healy. Terry played for Middlesbrough and Clifford’s son David Healy MBE also did very well in football. The Healy family’s father was a Welshman and was a very respected Pigeon Racer and a true gentleman :)

A very sporting family and nice people as well let me add :D

Alan

Watched David Healy many times for Leeds. Nice bloke, top player and a well deserved MBE.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:15 pm 

Another famous person with a motor racing connection to Surrey.....

The Rob Walker Racing Team – Dorking’s Part in Motor Racing History is at Dorking Museum from 27th September to 26th January 2019.
"Rob Walker chose Dorking in Surrey as the base for his small private racing team during the 1950s and 60s, the golden age of motor racing, and it was here that his cars were developed, built and tested.
Rob Walker was the first, and almost certainly the last, private team owner to win a Formula One World Championship Grand Prix. And he did it not once, but nine times between 1958 and 1968, a period regarded by many as the sport’s golden years. Not just F1, his team was also successful in many other levels of motorsport, including F2, F3, sports car racing and hill climbs.
Since the world’s first purpose-built racing circuit, Brooklands, opened in Weybridge in 1906, Surrey was the focus for Britain’s pioneering racing car industry. So, Dorking provided the perfect location to attract the skilled mechanics and drivers Rob required. In 1947, he bought Pippbrook Garage and workshops in nearby London Road which became the base for the fledgling Rob Walker Racing Team."
https://www.dorkingmuseum.org.uk/rob-wa ... cing-team/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:49 am 

Alan (Supersonic) - you have mentioned a few that I will probably repeat here but a few extra famous NI persons of interest just off the top of my head - I'm sure I've missed a few out :)

Paddy Hopkirk - Belfast
John Watson - Belfast
Eddie Irvine - Conlig, Co Down
Martin Donnelly - Belfast
Colin Turkington (this year's BTCC champion :) ) - Portadown, Co Armagh
Mervyn Johnston (the Tullyhommand Flyer) - Pettigo, Co Fermanagh
Kris Meeke - Dungannon, Co Tyrone
Harry Ferguson - THE grey fergie and 3 point linkage inventor - Dromore, Co Down
Denis Biggerstaff - Dromara, Co Down
Laurence Gibson - Banbridge, Co Down
The Dunlop family - Joey, Robert, Michael & William - Ballymoney, Co Antrim
Jonathan Rea - Ballynure, Co Antrim
John Crossle (who gave us the Crossle racing cars of course) - Holywood, Co Down

moving away from motors;

Rory McIlroy - Holywood, Co Down
Darren Clark - Dungannon, Co Tyrone
Graeme (G-Mac) McDowell - Portrush, Co Antrim
George Best - we even have an airport named after him :) - Belfast
Pat Jennings - Newry, Co Down
David Healy - Killyleagh, Co Down
AP McCoy - Moneyglass, Co Antrim
Carl Frampton - Tiger's Bay, Belfast
Rory Best - Portadown, Co Armagh
Alex Higgins (aka Hurricane Higgins) - Belfast

oh - and if it wasn't for Belfast's John Dunlop we wouldn't have SP Sports for the Minis ;)

and just for extra points - the ejector seat was invented by Martin Baker and used in pretty much every military aircraft in the world now - invented right here in NI (in Crossgar, Co Down)

Quite a productive wee country we live in :)

'64 Morris Cooper S Traveller
'65 Morris Mini Pickup
'83 Austin City E
'84 Sinclair C5
'87 Austin "Seven S" 1000
'04 MG ZR
'07 Vauxhall Astra GTE

http://minitravellerman.wix.com/ballylough-classics

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:48 pm 

Ian, thanks for your comprehensive list of all our great people. Last weekend at Raffrey Presbyterian Church Motorcycle Show I was honoured to listen to people talk about the presentation in recognition of Killough engineering inventor Rex McCandless. Nothing much more to say because I hope to do a thread about his genius :D

And we also had a local World War 2 Field Marshal Sir Alan Brooke :)

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Supersonic wrote:
And we also had a local World War 2 Field Marshal Sir Alan Brooke :)

Alan

On a similar theme, you also have the baddest ass ever to wear a british uniform, Paddy Mayne. (Newtownards)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Mayne

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:12 am 

Scraping the barrel a bit here but we also have Cain Dingle in our village..... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:24 am 

Harry Ratcliffe
Rupert jones
Stuart whitehead
Jeff Goodliff ( I think)

All from Littleborough or a few miles away from me.
Must be something in the Pennine air.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next