mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:23 pm 

If you are into footy-Jack Walker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Next we have someone who I suppose should have been placed in the first section, given the interest this forum affords him, he once owned a mini which sold for quite a lot of dosh not so long ago, he and his family have lived here for over 35 years, all our kids grew up and schooled together and he and his first wife helped us get the rebuilding of our cottage hospital under way many years ago, he even lent my son an electric guitar when his was nicked 2 days before his “A” level music exam. An all round good guy, John, his career long right hand man is also a great petrol head.

Go on, who was it then :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 am 

mk1 wrote:
Next we have someone who I suppose should have been placed in the first section, given the interest this forum affords him, he once owned a mini which sold for quite a lot of dosh not so long ago, he and his family have lived here for over 35 years, all our kids grew up and schooled together and he and his first wife helped us get the rebuilding of our cottage hospital under way many years ago, he even lent my son an electric guitar when his was nicked 2 days before his “A” level music exam. An all round good guy, John, his career long right hand man is also a great petrol head.

Go on, who was it then :)

LOL, Go on then I'll give you another clue, his kids learned to drive in an old Simca van, there you go, all sorted :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:22 pm 

Not a well selling VW? How disappointing

Al

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:06 pm 

Messaged supersonic laast night regarding who i was and that i wasnt that special or well known and he sent me a lovely reply expainling that people had taken the time to message Alan to let him know who i was and what i had done...

To say i'm touched is an understatement and shows you what a great site this is...

Thanks again to all who took the time from a well grounded Ace...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:00 pm 

Although now all gone, my present home of Prince Albert, SK CA was once home to three Prime Ministers

Wilfred Laurier
William Lyon Mackenzie
John Diefenbaker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:46 am 

nick@dunsdale wrote:
Sir Walter Scott

Jim Clark

Andrew Lang

Mungo Park

the latter two may not be known to everyone :lol:

:roll: you Borders chaps always claim Jim Clark as your own but he was born in Kilmany in Fife ;)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:05 am 

Richard Burns, need I say more, very sad premature loss of a real talent and “sound bloke” this link sums him up https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local ... ng-4276629

Other non car related...

Chris Tarrant, lives down the road, real,fisherman which ticks a box for me.

Ricky Gervais, grew up in localy infamous rough area....sorry if you live there :mrgreen: equally though, makes me laugh out loud......Reading humour...

Mike Oldfield , early years

Least street cred....The Middletons, just up the road as well.....sure kids and old man are nice (Kate and Pippa etc...) ......if social climbing was an Olympic sport Carole would get a Gold Medal, no question :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:49 pm 

Peter Purves used to live in the old vicarage just round the corner, used to see him in the vets regularly with his huge Newfoundland dog. He's very tall (Pete, not the dog ;) ). Olympic athlete Katherine Merry lived a couple of miles away, found out recently she's quite a petrolhead. Not too far away is Wappenbury Hall, the family home of Sir William Lyons and a few miles in the other direction live Midlands Today presenter Mary Rhodes and the 'Ian Beale' bloke from Eastenders. Cricketer Ian Bell was born and lived about two miles from here in Dunchurch, which is also where the house is that Guy Fawkes stayed in during the gunpowder plot malarkey. Jasper Carrot lives about twenty miles away in Lapworth, a close neighbour of his is Bev Bevan from ELO. Pete Waterman's massive O Gauge model railway is about fifteen miles from here and I believe he still has a house in the area. Oh, and that Simon Wheatcroft fella is known to frequent the vicinity occasionally... ;)

When I lived in Hammersmith in the early '80s (five minutes walk from the old Radford Works in King Street) actress Sarah Miles lived just round the corner by the river, about a mile away in Chiswick was Magnus Magnusen and a for a while Rodney Bewes had a flat nearby till he moved down to Cornwall. Often used to see a very tipsy Denholm Elliot on the tube on my way to work, as well as Terrance Alexander, probably less familiar but he was Bergerac's dodgy father-in-law and was always popping up in stuff like The Persuaders and The Saint.

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S
1994 Jap Mini 1275 Auto 'project 70s backdate'

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:19 am 

Mercedes GP .. 5 time F1 Championship Team 2018 .. also well done to the Brixworth Engine Division just up the road. :D

That makes 6 x F1 Championship Wins from Brackley counting the Braun F1 win & that years Championship was so special the guys at that time were under pressure to develop a winning car with nothing to spend on development it was a proper all round Team effort including Jenson .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next