mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:28 am 

General Von Klinkerhofen ( actor of Allo Allo fame) used to live near me .. I nearly ran into him when he stepped out in front of the car one dark night :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:32 am 

steve1071 wrote:
Scraping the barrel a bit here but we also have Cain Dingle in our village..... :lol:

Wow! Where's that. Must visit :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:23 am 

This is an article I wrote last week for the local newpaper about the great Rex McCandless. :D

Attachment:
DSC00639.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:35 pm 

olddave wrote:
steve1071 wrote:
Scraping the barrel a bit here but we also have Cain Dingle in our village..... :lol:

Near Wetherby. Get you a signed photo if you want............. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:20 pm 

steve1071 wrote:
olddave wrote:
steve1071 wrote:

Near Wetherby. Get you a signed photo if you want............. :lol:

Getting excited, how near? I need to book some accommodation, have a trip to Minispares then off to the Woolpack.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:39 pm 

Next village, Boston Spa. MiniSpares just up the road for some general piss taking with Rich.

Feel a bit sorry for Mr Dingle (not sure his real name), they wheel him out for all the PTA do's at my kids' school and the ladies are like fly's round him. Doesn't look overly happy as his mrs looks on......

:)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:49 pm 

:D :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:36 pm 

He's lives 300 yards from us, not of massive fame but more heroic acheivments than tv stars...Mike Wood BMC navigator, a great bloke over 80 now but still doesn't hang about in a car, I went to the London-Sydney 50th at Gaydon with him in July. He still has that 'navigation' instinct...M6 too busy, its quicker down the A50 no messing. It was his idea to turn a works Mini on its side to change the rubber drive coupling, middle of no-where with no spare, they got one one from the nearest garage. He has some fantastic tales of rallying escapades, the events were a lot longer then. Anyone who can navigate safely at speed for days and nights on end deserves an accolade.

19th c Richard Cobden, farther of free trade lived here and ran Cobden mill, built 'Cobden row' here in Sabden, not Manchester as wikipedia states
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Cobden

And 19th c https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixon_Robinson

Also Have Dave Fishwick of Bank of Dave, he used to be the biggest van dealer in the North. Started out as a DJ's helper in Spain...saved his money in a tin under his bed and started dealing vans. Has a helicopter now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:59 pm 

Added from another thread :D :D

That picture of a tank reminds me of my old friend and neighbour Sir John Gorman CVO CBE MC and DL. John was a decorated soldier and won the Military Cross when he was a young tank commander in WW2. Forget about the Google search he lived in Crossgar not Killyleagh. John passed away on 26 May 2014 :(

The motorsport conection is, John and Murray Walker trained together as very young officers :)

Must add John to our local region :)

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:42 pm 

A few more notables from my neck of the woods.

Mini/ motorsport connections; The late Harry Weslake & Mike Daniels, old factory just across the river from my old office, although Mike has worked from homebased workshops for donkeys years, come to think of it I haven’t seen him for quite a while. The old Nerus workshops with the late Nick Cole et al is next to my boat mooring, his brother Seb has recently given me some old 60’s home movie mini racing stuff which I shall process and post if possible ? Frank Nichols of Elva fame, part of his Rye workshop became my riverside office, when he sold up he moved into boatbuilding, developing Versatility workboats just around the corner.

Other interesting personalities within a mile or so, The very funny [late] Spike Milligan, my wife would frequently get him to come into her classroom and read to the children, which he always enjoyed, he was also a great supporter of our local pub & rugby club.

Next we have someone who I suppose should have been placed in the first section, given the interest this forum affords him, he once owned a mini which sold for quite a lot of dosh not so long ago, he and his family have lived here for over 35 years, all our kids grew up and schooled together and he and his first wife helped us get the rebuilding of our cottage hospital under way many years ago, he even lent my son an electric guitar when his was nicked 2 days before his “A” level music exam. An all round good guy, John, his careerlong righthand man is also a great petrolhead.

Staying with the music theme, Chris Difford and Glen Tilbrook [Squeeze] just up the road although Chris has recently moved to the Lewis are, he was very generous with his studio for local kids. And for all you old headbangers out there, my one time sailing bud and all round percussionist Chris Slade AC/DC and many other great bands, he moved to the states a while back now, since returned but out of area, is another petrolhead who once owned a mini.

The late John Schlesinger from up the road in Northiam shot a lot of “Cold Comfort Farm” in the fields behind our house, and the Video for the album “Flaming Pie” recorded by aforementioned music Leg end, in and around the farm behind us.

Ian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next