mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: BOOT LID CABLE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:16 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:30 am
Posts: 11665
Location: In the Village.
The "Not very good ones" with the cast end are what was fitted from the early 90's and are "original spec".

I agree they are pants though.

M

_________________
Mark F
I am not a number, but you can get me on 0800-555-555


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BOOT LID CABLE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:35 pm
Posts: 1637
Location: Abingdon Oxfordshire
Strange...., on my 2000 export RCS they look like the old standard type.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BOOT LID CABLE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:35 pm
Posts: 4142
Location: UK
360gts wrote:
mikal wrote:
Can't you buy that sort of stuff from a Mini wreckers over there? I bought a very nice used pair from my local wrecker here in Oz and he a box of them!

A good suggestion however, I suppose I could if I lived in the UK...in N. America it is extremely rare to see a mini in auto dismantlers yard. The days of the old wreckers yards are long gone here....they are now called "Auto Dismantlers and Recyclers"...they won't allow you to go in and select what you want.


Try finding a classic Mini in a UK general car breakers now Dermott, probably about as likely as that in the States to be honest. There are some specialist Mini breakers dotted around but few and far between.

Same applies here regarding being able to go in and pull the cars about yourself...good old Health and Safety :roll: :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BOOT LID CABLE
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:08 pm
Posts: 50
Surely it must be earlier/cheaper to get some good crimped ends than to cast ends onto the cable?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BOOT LID CABLE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:47 pm
Posts: 34
Andrew1967 wrote:
360gts wrote:
mikal wrote:
Can't you buy that sort of stuff from a Mini wreckers over there? I bought a very nice used pair from my local wrecker here in Oz and he had a box of them!

A good suggestion however, I suppose I could if I lived in the UK...in N. America it is extremely rare to see a mini in auto dismantlers yard. The days of the old wreckers yards are long gone here....they are now called "Auto Dismantlers and Recyclers"...they won't allow you to go in and select what you want.


Try finding a classic Mini in a UK general car breakers now Dermott, probably about as likely as that in the States to be honest. There are some specialist Mini breakers dotted around but few and far between.

Same applies here regarding being able to go in and pull the cars about yourself...good old Health and Safety :roll: :roll:


ah. I assumed the OP lived in the UK.. In Australia we have a few dedicated Mini wreckers about. The one I use is not self help either but Bryan always fossicks around for the best condition item to offer anyway. I suppose going there since 1981 when I had my first Mini helps. (I've just given away the extent of the chronic "Mini disease" I've been suffering from for 36 years. The condition is definitely terminal, I'm currently on Mini #6). It may be worth googling "Link Automotive" in Melbourne and contacting Bryan to see if he ships stuff overseas. Might be useful for hard to get original Mk 1 stuff, they would have scrapped 100's of Mini's over the decades :shock: (All our round noses were basically Mk 1's).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BOOT LID CABLE
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 7:12 am
Posts: 1235
ah. I assumed the OP lived in the UK.. In Australia we have a few dedicated Mini wreckers about. The one I use is not self help either but Bryan always fossicks around for the best condition item to offer anyway. I suppose going there since 1981 when I had my first Mini helps. (I've just given away the extent of the chronic "Mini disease" I've been suffering from for 36 years. The condition is definitely terminal, I'm currently on Mini #6). It may be worth googling "Link Automotive" in Melbourne and contacting Bryan to see if he ships stuff overseas. Might be useful for hard to get original Mk 1 stuff, they would have scrapped 100's of Mini's over the decades :shock: (All our round noses were basically Mk 1's).[/quote]

I smell an opportunity for one of you Ozzies...become an 'agent' for us who don't have the luxury of seeing MK1's in a scrapyard...you could make a little bit of side income by helping us out...Cheers
D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BOOT LID CABLE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:57 pm
Posts: 485
iain1967s wrote:
Just going by the photo, this looks closer to the original style.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192223282984


I ordered a couple of these to check them out and they have cast ends exactly the same as everyone else's.

_________________
I’m giving up asking rhetorical questions. What’s the point?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BOOT LID CABLE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 7:12 am
Posts: 1235
Lakeland997 wrote:
iain1967s wrote:
Just going by the photo, this looks closer to the original style.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192223282984


I ordered a couple of these to check them out and they have cast ends exactly the same as everyone else's.



Crap!
I sent the guy a note before I ordered a pair asking if they looked the same as in the picture. He replied .."yes, I took the picture myself"
If they turn out to be as you say...cast ends...they are going back.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: BOOT LID CABLE
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:47 pm
Posts: 34
I don't live in Melbourne at the moment in fact I'm in Indonesia now. (someone told me yesterday there is a "Mr Bean" sitting under a tree with a branch lying across the roof, this has me intrigued because Mini's are extremely rare here. When I toured through eastern Indonesia a few years ago with my Mk 1, I was called, you guessed it, Mr Bean. The whole world has seen the Mr Bean TV shows because they are silent-no need to know English). However if people can give me an idea of what sort of original used mark 1 bits are of interest, keeping in mind postage would be an issue, I can enquire later. Forget about Cooper S blocks, heads, gearboxes etc, they will be hard to find, heavy and very expensive I imagine..


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jerryh997 and 33 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Localized by Maël Soucaze © 2010 phpBB.fr