mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mk 1 Body Panels
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:41 pm 

With the body restoration continuing at pace, the metal man is endeavouring to replicate Mk 1 but each panel changed so far is causing a huge amount of work.

For example front wing of a hertiage panel the indicator housing is too large in diameter, the boot floor has a different shape around where the fuel line comes in, the floors have been a nightmare to fit because they come with outer sill already fitted and this sill is welded in at the wrong angle and has caused distortion of the floor section. These have had to be cut off, the panel errors corrected to allow the distortion to be removed.

The rear seat base is incorrectly shaped and the metal too thin to warrant cutting out these areas and letting in the old sections from the originals.

Is this all as it is or are there particular people out there who make better patterns in Mk 1 specific areas. I'm being told that the original Mk 1 presses were modified (instead of being replaced) by BL when the Mk 3 was manufactured - is this so?

Does anyone for example make a Mk 1 B post or side? :twisted: :o

Post subject: Re: Mk 1 Body Panels
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:49 pm 

M machine modify heritage and magnum panels to as near mk1 spec as is practical, they also do correct heel boards and floor panels, there is also rumour of magnum doing full side panels but not seen any yet, as for b posts, I have never seen or heard of any repro panels for these. I have also never seen them rotted beyond being useable.
I used a full m machine floor with outer sills, heelboard and crossmember/jacking points I had no issues with it at all so can recommend them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:38 am 

I’d agree with Darren’s comments.

The MiniMachine full floor assembly is excellent and no problems with it either. The perfect starting point for a rotten shell rebuild ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:20 am 

Thanks gents, it is one of those things that one needs to be in regular activity and one slowly picks up the knowledge.

The B post is unfortunately badly accident damaged at the top, there's no rot in it.

I spoke to one guy about the Mk 1 mini floor and with his restoration he asked that the outer sill not be welded into position prior to supply...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:41 pm 

MiniMachine will pretty much do as you ask regarding the completeness of an assembly of their manufacture.

With my project, having the outer sills jig fitted was definitely the way to go.

How much of the B post do you actually need ? Maybe a picture of the damaged B post might result in someone having a section they could help with.