mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1.0 Ecoboost Mini
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:59 pm 

"THE Mini EVOLUTION is the evolution of the classic Mini developed at Restomod® to allow the daily use of the classic Mini. A unique experience for those who want to still drive a classic car with an iconic bodywork without leaving side reliability, performance and safety. Now, the most modern and improved evolution of the classic Mini commercialized in 2 different formats. Retrofitting the Classic Mini with the ultimate engine technology to achieve great performance and efficiency.....After renting a Fiesta powered with an 1.0 Ecoboost engine we were surprised not only for its performance but also for its drivability. The flat torque curve that starts at very low rpm enables to pull comfortably through all gears. The small turbo together with the variable cam timing gives an almost instantaneous engine response at any rpm. This engine is an absolute game changer and we decided to develop this crazy idea of retrofitting the Classic Mini with the ultimate engine technology to achieve great performance and efficiency."
http://www.restomodclassic.com/en/the-m ... lution-en/

Brochure:-
http://www.restomodclassic.com/wp-conte ... it_ENG.pdf

Post subject: Re: 1.0 Ecoboost Mini
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:49 pm 

Only trouble is the eco boost keeps setting on fire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 pm 

We had a eco shit box on loan, it’s painful to drive You just end up going flat out everywhere.
It was so painful it was dangerous to pull out the village onto the main road.
The end result is crap MPG low 20’s.
My wife has a Audi S1 230 BHP 4 Wheel drive, you drive it normally 30-35 MPG on the same journey!
Maybe it works ok in a mini!!
D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:21 pm 

Daz1968 wrote:
Only trouble is the eco boost keeps setting on fire

True there were some fires, US side it's the 1.6L Ecoboost starting in 2013. GM is coming out with essentially the same engine just now in 2019. Back in 2013 the non turbo GM DI 4 cly had a PCV system that would freeze solid and blow out the rear main seal, dumping all the oil out in short order with obvious results, VCT death rattle at cold start, and cracked exhaust manifolds. At least with a fire you know a new car is in your future, just keep the fire extinguishers away. With the GM, they make you fix it, often on your dime.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:33 pm 

I have heard from an ex Ford enthusiast that Ford are having quite a bit of trouble with the EcoBoost now its getting 'real' long term testing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:40 pm 

You keep driving without any coolant and eventually something (not the engine itself) catches fire. What a surprise.
For the 1.0 it appears (contrary to the TV slot that gave Fiesta owners etc. heart attacks) that 44,000 Focus(es/i?) had a nylon pipe from the header tank that cracked. 96% of those have been replaced. Other cars had a rubber pipe (as presumably does the Focus since then).
The 1.6 is an entirely different situation, with a hotspot cracking the head. Presumably there is a revised head casting now....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:03 am 

The 1.0l engine they have used is the three cylinder one. Compared to an A series it is small and light despite having an iron block.

In normal tune it runs out 125PS and in the black editions it runs to 145PS. The Ford Formula car had 330PS from the same unit with a bigger turbo.

I had two Fiestas with one fitted, one manual and one 'auto'. Did over 50,000km in both of them and they never missed a beat. The power delivery is sublime and once it gets above 3000rpm, the three cylinder growl is intoxicating. Fuel consumption was about 5.5l per 100km (about 50 MpUKG or 43 MpUSG). Given the Fiesta now is as big as the original Focus at launch, I don't see that as too bad.

Some of our launch fleet in Thailand did 80,000km in about 3 months as part of the plant launch process back in 2012 and are still going as office 'hacks'.

Shame there is no price for the conversion because of all the 'modern' powertrain swaps, this is the only one that ever looked any good for a Mini to me.

As you can get a PTO onto the IB5 transmission relatively easily, a 4WD version would be entirely possibly but would need some body mods to get in.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:23 am 

Not a single issue with my 2013 Focus ST 252HP after 80k miles (other than wearing out tires and brakes). In fact the Focus will be pulled from the USA market soon and I am giving serious consideration to buying a 2018 model before they are gone.

john

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:06 am 

Interesting to see it appears to fit in a mini engine hole. I reckoned it was too tall - unless there's been some clever panel beating.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:37 am 

woodypup59 wrote:
Interesting to see it appears to fit in a mini engine hole. I reckoned it was too tall - unless there's been some clever panel beating.

Apparently no cutting of the original shell is required, although the first UK one had its inner wings trimmed for easier install. Also according to the new owner of Z-Cars who recently showed the RHD version of the car at the OhSoRetro show in Margate, the LHD car requires less ground clearance in Spain as they don't have high speed bumps! The RHD car has adjustable suspension so the car can be set to a height to get greater clearance for UK roads but a modified sump is something being looked at and may be trialed as a better solution....