mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:29 am 

Kees, from what you say could it be that the Derrington steering wheels were actually made by Moto-Lita but to Derrington's spec.? Why I say that is that in an earlier post you made you gave us a link to a Derrington steering wheel on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-MK2-D%20...%20Sw6aVUpExB

I remember noticing that Moto-Lita was mentioned in the description and assumed that it was wrongly described. Maybe it wasn't. It says:

DESCRIPTION
This is a new 16 (40.5 cm) OEM Moto-Lita wood steering wheel for Jaguar MK2 models. This wheel is flat with polished spokes. This wheel is supplied as a complete kit, the steering wheel and the boss kit are included in the price (Boss Kits are supplied for MK2 Jaguar only). This wheel will accept the original Jaguar Horn Bar (Not Supplied). Also fits Daimler V8 250 Saloon.

What's the verdict?

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:15 am 

Graham, I think the verdict is Moto-Lita did a lot more wheels than only there own.
Why design and create it your self when there is an company who can do itf or you ?
Carlotti and Les Leston wheels where also made by the same company (Walsall) and
the boss for them where made by the same company who did it for the AVANTI wheels.

:geek: Kees.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:26 am 

GrahamWRobinson wrote:

Kees, from what you say could it be that the Derrington steering wheels were actually made by Moto-Lita but to Derrington's spec.? Why I say that is that in an earlier post you made you gave us a link to a Derrington steering wheel on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-MK2-D%20...%20Sw6aVUpExB

I remember noticing that Moto-Lita was mentioned in the description and assumed that it was wrongly described. Maybe it wasn't. It says:

DESCRIPTION
This is a new 16 (40.5 cm) OEM Moto-Lita wood steering wheel for Jaguar MK2 models. This wheel is flat with polished spokes. This wheel is supplied as a complete kit, the steering wheel and the boss kit are included in the price (Boss Kits are supplied for MK2 Jaguar only). This wheel will accept the original Jaguar Horn Bar (Not Supplied). Also fits Daimler V8 250 Saloon.

What's the verdict?

Graham

The site seems pretty clear: https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering-wh ... oem-wheel/

Quote:
Product Description

CLASSIC REPLACEMENT WHEELS
Jag Derrington OEM - MKII Jaguar

As suppliers of steering wheels to VW Derrington Ltd, we are able to offer the original specification Jaguar MKII steering wheel, which accepts the original horn bar (not included). We also offer a B33c Boss Kit ... this can be ordered by selecting from the top of the page or recommended products below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:42 am 

I think it is now pretty clear exactly what the steering wheel is in the photo that Mark originally posted.

I just assumed that it was an old steering wheel in vgc but it could well be brand new.................... and all yours for £255 + VAT! (No, not the one in the photo!)

As an aside from this but still a valid point, nowadays we are lucky that there are almost more new parts available for a vehicle that there ever were when it was in production! Certainly that's true of the classic Mini.

Graham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:52 am 

:geek: Only Mark's wheel has not the extra two holes on on both sides
so that one must be an original old one.
If he is lucky this wheel will fit on the Personal 6 bolt steering wheel boss.

Kees.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:38 pm 

:o Now on fleebee :arrow: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/17-VINTAGE-C ... Swc1Zbq9Za