mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:52 pm 

Andrew1967 wrote:
So basically it serves two purposes ....

1, to filter the fuel and

2, the most important or relevant part compared to a £6 fuel filter .... it acts as a dampener to the fuel pulsing from the pump to give a steady, regulated flow to the carburettor.

I can see the sense in both of the above.

As for some of the other claims - just sales pitch :roll:

And then there's the Petrol King that doesn't filter.... I can imagine Peter shouting at his screen now:
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/ma ... r-king-pet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:52 pm 

I have the one without a filter...before I had a lot of problems with overflow at the carb. After fitting the king thing everything works fine.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:30 pm 

So the short description then is a combination Fuel Filter and built in Regulator (or the original device discussed)?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:58 pm 

Spider wrote:
So the short description then is a combination Fuel Filter and built in Regulator (or the original device discussed)?

Yes, the Filter King is advertised as a regulator and filter. The internal filter is replaceable

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:35 am 

Despite or maybe inspite of the the “Argy bargy” :D , this is a fascinating thread, raising some questions about a part , that often, just gets fitted without question....what else is there.....

In the absence of another solution i will still fit one, yes advertising blurb is OTT, but it does allow control of max presure to carb and, as far as i can see, it smoothes out pulses from pump, which i suspect rattle the needle valve off its seat some times.

Dont stop posting Peter, you are after all, a catalyst for this thread, enviroment though is closer to down the pub than in the classroom - might be worth reserving longer articles for a tech library...?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:29 am 

I agree, don't stop posting Peter.

Several on here (including you Peter) post up really technical explanations that go over my head, but it's still interesting and I glean what I can understand :oops:

They say that cynicism is the lowest form of wit but sometimes being cynical is the only way to expose the bull that is written or said :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:32 am 
Site Admin

This article has (as I hoped) provoked some very interesting discussion, and some less savoury stuff too.

I certainly hope that it doesn't cause Peter to stop writing for us.

I would urge everyone to treat all other members with respect!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:07 pm 

Peter, hopefully you didn’t take offense at my reply, I was just trying to break the problem (as I perceived it) down into steps, and the only filter king claims which I could correlate to the problem were the result of regulating variations in the fuel pump pressure.

Turns out the paragraph in my description of how I thought the filter king might actually work as a regulator was 100% wrong - the diaphragm explanation seems much more likely. But that’s fine by me - just the kind of discussion that makes this forum so valuable. I’d call that a successful thread, and thanks for raising the topic.

Regarding substantiation of their claims, smoothing flow could result in better fuel economy, as the over-rich fueling would no longer occur. That RAC test claims 10% which seems a little on the high side to me. The rest of the claims, in my opinion, are marketing bullshit. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:26 pm 

Iain (and Mark), no offence taken at all. In fact, no offence was taken by me to ANY of the replies