mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Goodwood
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:05 am 

A lot of winging about cars being damaged and should not be race etc. Cloths not matching the sixties etc etc. Your starting to sound like old winging farts! Cars can always be repaired and if I’m not mistaken it’s not only 60’s cars racing at Goodwood. People are enjoying themselves, what’s wrong with that! The pre 66 saloon race yesterday was absolutely fantastic. The cars driven on the limits with the odd rubbing was magic to watch. It was a great shame the surf blue mini hit the wall so hard, poor driving by the guy in the Cortina! But class driving by the boys at the front! Really looking forward to watching it on live streaming today.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:13 am 

Well said Nev. The majority of those cars have been rebuilt plenty of times before and some will have to be again. I take my hat off to the owners who are prepared to stand the cost of entertaining us as well as themselves! If the owners of those cars didn't take them to such events, what exactly SHOULD they do with them??

Goodwood Revival is a brilliant event. Long may it continue.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:08 pm 

What a shame the 2nd St Mary's Trophy was shortened so much today, real disppointment. Some of the yank tank drivers need a good talking to! The driver of the barrel rolling Tina was lucky to walk away! Bit of a Ford benefit and so little mention of the Minis but Swifty gave it all he had for the few laps they actually raced. Andy had problems as did Lewis who didn't appear on the grid so with Stanley not starting with a smashed car it was a bit of a non event today. Yesterday's race was great!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:59 pm 

Melicevic was blinding in the Glover Trophy, that last corner overtake for third was awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:21 pm 

Sears Trophy on Saturday was suprisingley good, almost a “Rai Davis moment” before the MK2s squeezed out one A35 and the other contender blew up!

Not sure if will comes across on vid, but Austin Westminster sounded like was powered by a Cossie engine.....

Have to say I also agree with Nev, cars should be used, in any case, each competition adds to interesting history and value.......

Without competition history ie Monaco etc.. Mini copper s would-be where ?..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:55 am 
Site Admin

I take back all my whinghing about the Revival last week, after watching 7 or 8 hours of the live stream Adam & I are definitely going next year, I will just have to save up for some hospitality tickets too.

We thought the racing was absolutely stunning, with all the races being run at 10 / 10th's all the time & we thought it was all very clean & fair. It just shows that those BTCC hooligans can drive without smashing cars up if they put their mind to it.

As far as crashes were concerned, we thought it was remarkable how few incidents there were all weekend.

Regarding the comments above. Racing cars are built to race & if you race there is always the possibility of smashing a car (and driver) to pieces. That is the nature of Motorsport. Without people prepared to race £5,000,000 pounds worth of GT40 or 300SL Merc, we would never see them on a track. I salute those super rich folks who are prepared to let us share in their good fortune.

What a brilliant weekend!

The Mini's were a total let down, not through want of trying though :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:24 am 

If you want the Revival experience without the crowds then may I suggest the Members Meeting, which in 2019 has shifted to an April slot. The track action is the same as the Revival, and the off track action is much less crowded.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:59 pm 

Great Goodwood for us. I'm proud to say that my wee boy Lachlan came 10th in the pedal car race on Saturday and then backed that up with a brilliant 3rd on Sunday. Very proud parents!

We spoke to Jason Stanley's mechanics on Saturday afternoon and they were planning to do an all-nighter to get the mini out for Jason on Sunday, but obviously were unable to get it repaired in time. Consolation was that Jason's son had come second in his pedal car on Saturday - well done Joe!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Well done to your Lad MGCM!

I had sloped off to the loo when Adam called me back saying Dad, LOOK AT THIS!

It was the pedal car race !

What an experience :)

M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:10 pm 

Mark, last week I was hunting around for a spare Mk1 sticker from Blyton Park to put on the pedal car. It's a shame that I didn't find it as we could have had MK1 Performance Conversions broadcast to the world on the finest historic stage that there is!

Here's a video of Sunday's race - you don't see much of Lachlan as it mostly focuses on the first two slugging it out, but if you stay with it until the end it turns out that my lad's pretty composed when someone sticks a microphone and camera in his face too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLJowvf8M8g&t=204s

Not sure if I've done the link correctly, but copying and pasting into your browser should work at least.

Malcolm Milne

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next