mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Goodwood
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:32 pm 

Hi

Any of you mini millionaires out there going to Goodwood this weekend...??

Kevin

Post subject: Re: Goodwood
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:25 pm 

I'll be there Sunday. Can't wait!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:35 pm 

All 3 days as usual, first day wandering around, Saturday and Sunday on the Lavant Bank with the pickup, its a cracking viewing platform. second best show of the season, after the MK1 Performance day of course.

Ian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:50 pm 

I’ll be there for the 3 days as usual too.

It really is an amazing event.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:58 pm 
Site Admin

I do love Goodwood, but since I went in 2009 for Mini 50 & had a golden ticket for the hospitality areas I haven't been back. The atmosphere & event are fantastic, but I just hate the crowds. To be able to flash my pass & get a bit of quiet was WONDERFUL!

That & I'll be at Saltburn Hillclimb for the second year on Sunday. Not quite Goodwood, but a cracking day out.

http://www.motorclub.uk.net/Saltburn-Hillclimb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:37 pm 

I went regularly from the very first event until 2007 when I left London. That first event was a REAL revival with lots of enthusiastic owners proudly showing their cars and being able to rub shoulders (not quite in my case though - but you know what I mean!) with famous personalities I'd only read about. The races were run like a machine gun and it was hard to find time to enjoy the corporate hospitality! Total reverse now - Money, money, money. I did go the year there was a Radford display but that was the last time and as Mark said - too many people! And not only that, the majority do not appear to be really interested in motors other than as an investment vehicle.
It is good racing though even if the entries are not quite revived vehicles. Best place to be in my opinion is around the circuit spectating and not in the corporate areas but I have heard the classic car park is not to be missed.
A personal view.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:43 pm 

I haven't been for years and wont be at this one but yes it went abit Elvis fancy dress a few years ago, its still massively an old boys club, it's too expensive, but possibly and consistantly the best historic racing you'll see anywhere I reckon.

Next year we need to do it again Mark!! Maybe not in an Alfa overnight with no clutch and probably check for sheduled motorway closures next time. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:55 pm 

I was going to give it a miss this year as I'd become a bit jaded by it having been to, I think 17 previous Revivals (and the rain has been
a pain in some recent years) but relented and am now going and looking forward to it.

Yes, the area behind and around the grandstands opposite the pits / chicane is mobbed and I hate crowds, so avoid it, but the area out the back is MUCH quieter and you are good and close to the action. Get a spot near the big screens and it's a nice way to spend a few days.

We camp on site too, so fingers crossed the current forecast remains, or better still improves!

Al

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:11 pm 

We’re going as usual for the three days.
It’s total theatre, with brilliant machinery and classic planes to boot.
You have to dress up, and certainly hit the dance tents in the evening. There’s no where else like it crowds and all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:34 pm 

Hagerty are doing a Big Screen showing of Goodwood this Sunday at Bicester Heritage site.. tickets are free for cars over 40 years old.. go onto the Hagerty Insurance site to route you onto these free entry tickets. one ticket lets in the car & 4 persons .. this is the first time as a try out to see if the idea works.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next