mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:03 pm 

I believe my 1965 Cooper S should have a brake servo assembly but was apparently removed by a prior owner.

Without the servo, the brake pedal effort will be significantly increased ? Street use only.

Mini Spares is out of stock for their brake servo assembly.

Somerford Mini shows a brake servo assembly for the MK 1, Caparo Innocenti Type 5 1/2 Remote Servo.

Is this servo a close reproduction to the original servo. Any known problems? Or should I wait for the Mini Spares servo?

Was the Mini's original brake servo also used on an Alfa Romeo?

Thank you.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:35 pm 

The brake servo doesn't do anything to the brakes except decrease the physical loading that YOU have to put on the pedal. The assistance it gives is simply assistance to you. I know people don't think that it's a like for like comparison, but the little Cooper didn't have one and you're stopping the same speed weight (up to the Cooper max of 92 of course)

You could leave it off but plumbed in until you find a suitable one - or just an old one that needs rebuilding.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:24 am 

1. Yes, you would originally have had one.

2. And, Yes, you should have one. (and Peter is correct). Much correspondence will tell this is a (very) subjective matter, much subject to personal opinion.. IMHO the car is much nicer with it. Obviously depends on pad material as well....

3. OK

4. Yes. This is an alloy "replica" of the original type and was the only option for many years until MSpares came up with their version.

5. See 4.

6. Allegedly ... maybe Alfa used the alloy type. I've not seen a direct comparison of the internal bores etc which would affect the level of boost provided.

I had a ratty original stainless sleeved and plated. However, not all the bits you might want to replace are (or were) available - esp. the air filter section. Diaphragms and seal kits are not commonly available.

I did drive my car for some time before finding and fixing the unit I have now. It was great relief to finally get the new one installed. The difference was much emphasised when I blew a diaphragm half way through our local hill climb course.....

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:43 am 

I have found a gentleman here in the USA that has a used brake servo assembly which has been taken apart, cleaned and put in a plastic bag to preserve it.
I am reluctant to buy not knowing if all the parts are present!

I have tried to find a diagram for the Lockheed brake servo assembly 5 1/2 in order to determine which way parts are assembled.

Does anyone know of a company where I could purchase a rebuild kit for the complete brake servo assembly?? Have looked online but have come up empty handed.

Minispares has just received stock of their version of the MK 1 brake servo assembly. Any knowledge of these? Also, no rebuild kits available at this time.

Regards,

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:07 am 

jaknight wrote:
I have found a gentleman here in the USA that has a used brake servo assembly which has been taken apart, cleaned and put in a plastic bag to preserve it.
I am reluctant to buy not knowing if all the parts are present!

I have tried to find a diagram for the Lockheed brake servo assembly 5 1/2 in order to determine which way parts are assembled.

Does anyone know of a company where I could purchase a rebuild kit for the complete brake servo assembly?? Have looked online but have come up empty handed.

Minispares has just received stock of their version of the MK 1 brake servo assembly. Any knowledge of these? Also, no rebuild kits available at this time.

Regards,

Jim

Lockheed manuals are in the excellent mk1-performance website library.

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.u ... anical.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:13 am 

I had an alloy bodies Alfa servo, but the brake pipe threads were metric instead of imperial as on the Lockheed. I did however manage to use some of the Alfa internals to save my Lockheed.