mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I Never Went There
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:44 pm 

Rockingham has been sold and is to be used as a car storage site

https://www.autocar.co.uk/opinion/motor ... r-speedway

I've never been there. I watched the BTCC on the telly the other day and it did look a bit empty in the stands. The track gave a bit of excitement at turn 2 as the cars would enter three-wide, but does look a bit dull. I guess the novelty of US style oval racing just didn't catch on.

Post subject: Re: I Never Went There
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:24 pm 

No great loss. I went there for a trackway in 2004 and haven't been back. It was that good.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:02 pm 

I remember the opening event, the COYS festival of 2002?, the first time we'd moved from the very successful Silverstone event. The nearer the event, the more apparent it became that it wasn't going to be ready.......

As title sponsor, we were still more focused on the headline auction than the actual race planning, but even so, it was fraut.

The first cars were arriving for the sale probably two days before we opened, and couldn't get in as the main road into the circuit hadn't been laid! not just top surface, there was only the base layer. That was fairly typical, as i recall.

Still, it all came together somehow, but I don't think there were any other big historic events, and I can't remember what the gate was like, but nothing like Silverstone.

Will anyone miss it as a venue? probably not. Though I think it did OK as a testing venue?

Al

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:10 pm 

The 750MC have held a few meetings there and had mixed responses. not my idea of a british circuit, I like a bit of scenery to go with the excitement :) plus they are more tempting venues for my long suffering better half :roll:

Imho, no great loss.

Ian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:07 pm 

I only ever went twice

1st time all the toilets where locked

2nd time the grandstands had started to fall over and no one was allowed in them. This is why it always looked empty. We climbed over the fence and sat in grandstands right at the top and got chased out by security.

God, it was a grim shithole

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:52 pm 

The only good thing was , as peasants we had to be based outside the track and it had a decent length and size of tunnel to the infield where you could play chav and wind the window down and give the car some beans and enjoy the sound. I got chucked out of the stands too and the only upside was that the stewards would have to walk half a mile to come and tell you off. Simple pleasures

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:47 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
I only ever went twice

1st time all the toilets where locked

2nd time the grandstands had started to fall over and no one was allowed in them. This is why it always looked empty. We climbed over the fence and sat in grandstands right at the top and got chased out by security.

God, it was a grim shithole

It's also close to Corby, and that can never be a good thing. The place is just a charisma vacuum.

Confirmed; it's toast.

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/ne ... -1-8604007

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:02 pm 

I drove it in my RS500 once in heavy rain. Wasn't inspired I must admit ;-(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:00 am 

They did not serve beer. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:36 pm 

Never been there. I have been to the "original" Rockingham ("NCMS" for the NASCAR American 500) when the championship was decided there.
Of course the UK Rockingham was the "original" in non-circuit terms...it must have been somewhere the then population were keen on leaving for North Carolina (sorry, Nawth Cahlina).

I never did see how it would be viable in the long term. US oval track racing is all about money and there was never likely to be enough in the UK.