mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:35 am 

mmm I can't see it happening any time soon, but its an interesting 'concept'
We have been developing batteries for 150 years, a Sportpack Mini developed in conjunction with BMW has a range of 65 miles, not very impressive. That said ok for commuting. Whats the point anyway unless the charge is from a renewable source ? Personally I can't see electric vehicles climbing to 20% on UK roads, for several reasons.

The Mini has such a cult following it will be a long time before its following wains, there are plenty of the younger generation who would love one. I think too as there are only about 60K left in the UK it will be enough to keep them alive and desirable.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:45 am 

I have a problem with electric cars, its just tailpipe displacement. Most electricity comes from coal a fossil fuel. See if you can talk China and India out of using coal. The batteries are made of nasty stuff and when they go bad they get dumped. Or worse sent to third world countries to be "recycled" destroying their ground water and causing increases in cancer. When you bring these things up people don't want to hear it. They are saving the world or so they think. "Not in my backyard," of course forgetting that the world is everyones back yard. A person asked me about five years ago what I thought about buying an electric car and I asked her why she wanted to do it. She said to have less of an impact on the environment. I said that was fine. Then I asked her where electricity comes from and she said the plug. This was a grown adult.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:48 am 

Jono wrote:
His mates are similar - one is a Fulvia enthusiast !

Unfortunately at the moment my boys are more “Vulva enthusiasts” :lol:

Actually oldest (20) is very keen on 1980s BMW 3 series , in fact any car that has straight lines.... (mini aside) which I get. Shame his insurance has just been cancelled, becuase black box fitted by insurance company squealed on him... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:08 am 

Bart Smith wrote:
I have a problem with electric cars, its just tailpipe displacement. Most electricity comes from coal a fossil fuel. See if you can talk China and India out of using coal. The batteries are made of nasty stuff and when they go bad they get dumped. Or worse sent to third world countries to be "recycled" destroying their ground water and causing increases in cancer. When you bring these things up people don't want to hear it. They are saving the world or so they think. "Not in my backyard," of course forgetting that the world is everyones back yard. A person asked me about five years ago what I thought about buying an electric car and I asked her why she wanted to do it. She said to have less of an impact on the environment. I said that was fine. Then I asked her where electricity comes from and she said the plug. This was a grown adult.

This excellent reply is something certain self-righteous Prius and Leaf owners need re-reminding of.. If they really want to make 'less of an impact' there they should start by not driving followed by not flying nor having children.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:34 am 

Or keep a classic car going

Its a deceptive collective perception like nuclear power....yes the process is Co2 Neutral, but takes no account of the thousands of vehicles and tons of concrete in construction, use and decommissioning for 100k years. There is an entire gravy train of impractical pen-pushers claiming its safe too[AEA and IAEA]

The whole Co2 causing global warming also a massive en-mass scam...4 PPM [parts per million] is what man produces.... affects the temp of the earth my arse.
Has this wonderful mythical property of Co2 any practical applications ? other than wangling more money out of us ?

Deceptive Greenhouse

The earth’s to warm two degrees?
Bring it on please
Metriologists can’t tell
Inaccurate as hell

Three different forecasts same day
All out four degrees anyway
On accuracy they should gain pay
Couldn’t forecast the time of day

Two degrees in fifty years? when three days is way off ?
No research funding for greenhouse sceptics
Something’s not right here prof
Take your CO2 blinkers off

Year 2000 predicted as ice-age thirty years before
CO2 greenhouse now, someone shut that door
Spring 2013, colder than fifty years afore
Totally against ‘greenhouse’ lore

We make some four percent of the already minute share;
With only one part CO2 in 250,000 of air
About four one hundredths of one drop in a 50 litre tank
Insignificant amount….plank
Man makes about 4 parts per million
So small the story’s a farce
Affects earths’ temperature my arse

Some of us have twigged
CO2 greenhouse and global warming is rigged
It’s total fake
Deceptive excuse for CO2 money rake
I want a refund on government ‘mistake’.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:00 am 

My 6 year old daughter loves our '67 mini, so I am hopeful the next generation will pick up the baton of classic car ownership where we leave off.

Last edited by iain1967s on Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:13 am 
Site Admin

This isn't really the right place for this sort of Trumpery.

Anyone wishing to look into Global Climate change can do so elsewhere & form their own conclusions.

Any discussion here is not really appropriate, sorry.

M

Retroman wrote:
Or keep a classic car going

Its a deceptive collective perception like nuclear power....yes the process is Co2 Neutral, but takes no account of the thousands of vehicles and tons of concrete in construction, use and decommissioning for 100k years. There is an entire gravy train of impractical pen-pushers claiming its safe too[AEA and IAEA]

The whole Co2 causing global warming also a massive en-mass scam...4 PPM [parts per million] is what man produces.... affects the temp of the earth my arse.
Has this wonderful mythical property of Co2 any practical applications ? other than wangling more money out of us ?

Deceptive Greenhouse

The earth’s to warm two degrees?
Bring it on please
Metriologists can’t tell
Inaccurate as hell

Three different forecasts same day
All out four degrees anyway
On accuracy they should gain pay
Couldn’t forecast the time of day

Two degrees in fifty years? when three days is way off ?
No research funding for greenhouse sceptics
Something’s not right here prof
Take your CO2 blinkers off

Year 2000 predicted as ice-age thirty years before
CO2 greenhouse now, someone shut that door
Spring 2013, colder than fifty years afore
Totally against ‘greenhouse’ lore

We make some four percent of the already minute share;
With only one part CO2 in 250,000 of air
About four one hundredths of one drop in a 50 litre tank
Insignificant amount….plank
Man makes about 4 parts per million
So small the story’s a farce
Affects earths’ temperature my arse

Some of us have twigged
CO2 greenhouse and global warming is rigged
It’s total fake
Deceptive excuse for CO2 money rake
I want a refund on government ‘mistake’.