mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:09 pm 

surfblue63 wrote:
The other aspect of this is insurance. Insurers are looking for get outs all the time and if you car is found to be defective then they are well within their rights to not pay out.

I have agreed value on my wife's SDL, which included sending them pics for valuation so they know exactly what it looks like. I've only got 4.5 reverse rims on it but they do stick out a tiny amount. Never queried by any garages doing MOTs the past 28 or more years thankfully.

I sometimes think we oldies recall the days when these things were a potential issue and officials were actively on the look out?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:57 pm 

Just a very minor point that's already been tried and tested in several stated cases. Motor insurers cannot use irrelevant small-print clauses to escape or evade their legal or 3rd party liabilities. It's a fact in law and practice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:45 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
It would be such a trivial con and use offence that it wouldn't get out of the starting blocks, believe me! The only time you're liable to get stopped is like me on the M40 near Oxford last Thursday, with my newly restored no wheel arch D1's when a couple of cops stopped me - and they admitted afterwards - that it was just to have a look at the car generally. Mind you, if you got arsey and asked them whether they didn't have anything better to do than stop motorists for stupid ridiculous shite, then I dare say that they'd give you a VDRS ticket.

Good point Peter....I had a similar situation the other month when pulled over locally in my mk1. Basically the Cops only wanted to look at / talk about the car with appreciation ! As you suggest, it does pay to ' humour ' them...….especially if you are bending the rules slightly !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:48 pm 

RayCox wrote:
Hi chaps.
Fitted my original D1's with Jokohamas to the S. Yes, they do protrude, as expected. I have some black mini special arches that look pretty good on the OEW/black colour scheme. My dilemma is that I don't want to start drilling screw holes! Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on a silicone alternative, which could be removed if I revert back to steelies at some point? I used one of the many Sikoflex range on a caravan arch that I think would take the side off if removed!!

Regards. Ray.

Many thanks to mab01,Peter,rich,Luis,surfblue and Andy for all your input, some of which was very enlightening! As I have a set of the mini special arches, similar in size to the group2, going to put them on as mab01 suggests, from underneath. Probably being a bit picky, but peeps have noted the sticky out tyres! The job can be easily reversed later without rusty holes everywhere.
Many thanks again chaps---you're all stars. Ray.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:45 am 

If you can adapt the Mini Special arches to fit like the W&P style you may find it difficult to get a tight fit to the wings/body panels......the W & P arches come supplied with a sealing strip for fitting between the upper edges to body.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:43 am 

I'd second Pete here, my Min has had D1's on S discs for the better part of 20 years no issue - admittedly its been dismantled for a number of those, but its really never been an issue