mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:37 pm 

Hi chaps.
Fitted my original D1's with Jokohamas to the S. Yes, they do protrude, as expected. I have some black mini special arches that look pretty good on the OEW/black colour scheme. My dilemma is that I don't want to start drilling screw holes! Does anyone have any experience/thoughts on a silicone alternative, which could be removed if I revert back to steelies at some point? I used one of the many Sikoflex range on a caravan arch that I think would take the side off if removed!!

Regards. Ray.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:44 pm 

If you like the Wood & Pickett type arches they fit from below with screws or rivets into the wheel arch flange/lip so no visible drilling of body panels/wings if later removed....(ie. the small fixing holes in wheelarch side flanges would be covered by standard arch trim strips).
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... |Back%20to

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:17 pm 

Loads of S owners and users, including me, have fitted D1's to standard Cooper S's in the past and will in the future without any arches or bother of any sort. Just leave things be, without them. Just my opinion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:29 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
Loads of S owners and users, including me, have fitted D1's to standard Cooper S's in the past and will in the future without any arches or bother of any sort. Just leave things be, without them. Just my opinion

peter

dont forget that the mot rules have changed and no longer allow any sort of tyre sticking outside the arch

in the old days you could get away with it, not now

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:35 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Peter Laidler wrote:

peter

dont forget that the mot rules have changed and no longer allow any sort of tyre sticking outside the arch

I used to get away with no arches in the 1970's with 6" Mamba alloys and 165 tyres but the sides of the Mini looked like it had been on a Rallycross circuit after a few drives on wet or muddy roads.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:34 pm 

Ah, yes, I get that Rich......, back in the day when we had to MoT them! But barely half an inch or so is no big deal I say especially when you've got 10 inches......, wheels that is!!!!! But everyone to his own

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:22 pm 

I'd say keep it without arches and keep your steel wheels for the MOT only ;) !

Arches route could be the Australian version of the group 2 arches, they fit/screw onto the wheel arch lip from below.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:30 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Peter Laidler wrote:

peter

Rich.
Thought provoking---- as it doesn't 'need' an mot, can it 'fail' an mot?
Or would plod throw me a 'construction+use' ticket? :cry:
haha

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:08 pm 

It would be such a trivial con and use offence that it wouldn't get out of the starting blocks, believe me! The only time you're liable to get stopped is like me on the M40 near Oxford last Thursday, with my newly restored no wheel arch D1's when a couple of cops stopped me - and they admitted afterwards - that it was just to have a look at the car generally. Mind you, if you got arsey and asked them whether they didn't have anything better to do than stop motorists for stupid ridiculous shite, then I dare say that they'd give you a VDRS ticket.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:41 pm 

The other aspect of this is insurance. Insurers are looking for get outs all the time and if you car is found to be defective then they are well within their rights to not pay out.