mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:56 am 

Here's another point to ponder especially for all of those 'repair it at all costs' masochists. Just suppose that you had an equally bad Mk1 S. And your neighbour had a brand new Mk1 S shell in his garage. Or, let's say a brand new Mk1 mini shell in his garage that needed a few odds and sods to bring it up to Mk1 S spec. What would you be doing?

I know what I'd be doing. Sure, it's not a genuine S shell and....... But nor is the Moke shell. Slave over a hot stove for a year or just get on with it?

There's the answer chaps.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:30 am 

All hypothetical though Peter, unless you know of a genuine NOS Mk1 S shell, or NOS 'standard Mk1 shell' come to that .. Heritage shells don't cut it.

I want a genuine Mk1 S in its original, albeit hugely repanelled, shell and not an S re-shelled into an 850 shell.

All boils down to how particular you are about, and what you consider to be, originality/original. The challenge of a project it what interests me. Once done, I tend to lose interest.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:52 pm 

Isn't it a case of egg before chicken . To me a S shell is a 850 shell with a few brackets alterations applied ... don't get me wrong Andrew I commend you for what your doing with HOY ... ken

70 1275 GT
246 Ferrari Dino ...........sold
997 Porsche turbo
MPI modified
Transit van
Minisprint Trickett

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:04 pm 

Don't get me wrong either Andy, I have the greatest admiration for what you've done. But if you could have started with a new shell...........

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:15 pm 

Normally! I’d always repair/restore that’s my job, if you can’t see I’ve worked on a car I’ve done it right..
However in this case time is not on my side, also it’s my money! Replacing the shell is looking like the best option even if it goes against the grain!!
If I do it properly, my way most people will never know!
D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:30 pm 

Apart from everyone on here Dave ;) :lol:

I don't think either way is wrong really, especially if re-shelling with a new shell :)

Peter, no offence taken mate, I know I'm mad :shock: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:05 pm 

From the one photo, it doesn't look too bad, but a moke is a hard thing to restore well, as all the panels / joins are visible. Ultimately to restore it you would be looking at unpicking and replacing full panels, so it comes down to time, money, and your own view on the 'woodcutter's axe' argument.

There is no 'right' answer, as the replacement shells are to all intents and purposes, exact replacements.

if you do replace it and sell the 'original' less the ID, the ease with which it'll sell shows that others would go for repair. it might not end up perfect, but usable. I suspose it's down to how good you want the end result to be.

My moke itch is particularly bad at the moment. so bad in fact, my collegue 3D printed me one! :lol:

Al

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:26 pm 

Andrew it’s a secret :o that’s why I sign off D and not Dave.. you’ve blown my cover!

If someone wants to do an 1980’s quick patch job and use it it’s an easy resto, if you have time and space to unpick it and replace panels that’s great.

I’m doing lots of asking questions and reading, the moke panels shell looks best value and build at the mo. Less than £6.5k for a kit of bits? Any in put?
D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:56 pm 

kit of bits wrote:
Andrew it’s a secret :o that’s why I sign off D and not Dave.. you’ve blown my cover!

D

Sorry Dave.... :oops:

Regards

Trigger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:28 pm 

you mean rodney dont you andrew! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next