mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: To reshell or repair?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:15 pm 

Not really the normal forum chat but it’s from 1965.

I’ve bought project moke and it needs some love.

The lower 6” are rotten! No surprise.
The good part, it’s not had any repair work so there’s no nasty welding to cut out..

The panels are a couple of grand and I’ve been quoted a couple of grand to fit them. Then there’s blasting and paint.

My question should I just buy a new shell and if so which one?
This way there’s no blasting cost, less paint prep and it should last longer.
I can also sell the original shell to offset the cost of the new one..

Has anyone got any input that I’ve not thought about? All comments welcome
D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:32 pm 

Another thread where there's going to be as many answers as there are ideas. Here's my take on it........ Get the answer about which new shell is the best AND MOST REPRESENTATIVE of the real McCoy. Get a new one. Accurately transfer all the relevant info onto your new shell. Then sell your bare old shell on to get a few ££££'s back. Later a glutton for punishment can restore your shell and build another Moke.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:56 pm 

Sell the whole thing to an enthusiast who can do all the work themselves and enjoy every minute.
D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:52 am 

Seems to me like the true identity of a car is its shell, and it would be a terrible shame to sell off a perfectly restorable shell and replace with something new.

Dig around the forum here, there are people restoring far worse than that, and are able to stand back and know they saved an original car. It won't be easy or quick (or even cheaper) but you'll get the satisfaction of knowing you brought a car back from the brink..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:47 am 

Repair. Just look at the state of some of the ex-Catalina mokes, and nearly all of those were restored to original condition after being hauled half way across the globe.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:23 am 

Restore the original shell if you have new panels

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:43 am 

I can say that the shells from Leo Jack (Moke Panels) are excellent and for what you have you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference - only that the body will be square and everything will fit without a wrestle. They really are brilliant. I doubt you'd get one from M-parts for a while as I think they have a back log and a half and were looking for a body builder a little while back.

Repair or replace - to me, given the prices, it's a no brainer - replace it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:17 am 

Having done one I’m in the replace camp. To get all the rot out of a bad shell is a major task. They are way more complex to construct than a mini shell. Hundreds of spot welds to unpick and multiple double and triple layer areas for rot to lurk. Most repro shells look pretty good with the possibility to replicate most models.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:49 am 

If you are having to pay some one to weld then you just as well buy a new shell. It will be a nicer job and last longer and wont be a lot difference in price. Speak to leo jack at mokepanels.com His phone number is 01278786993 . His brand new shells are spot on.
Peter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:17 am 

All I can add, is that once HOY is restored, I will be able to say that it is the original shell, even though most has been replaced. I have not simply found a better shell or used a Heritage shell, which, lets face it, would have been the easier option. As said in my thread, IF the car had already been re-shelled, there is no way I'd have tackled something so rough and would have re-shelled again.

I'd restore the shell it if it were mine BUT, its not and whatever you do, it will get another Moke back on the road.

Another '65 rust bucket ... :? :lol: