mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm 

AndyB72 wrote:
In qualifying last week at Assen there was half a second between first and tenth place!!!!

And as for the race, I almost fell of my seat I was so on the edge of it. Moto GP is far more exciting than any car racing, and you can get more overtakes in one race than a whole season of F1.

Catch Assen while you can, I promise you will not be disappointed (you may need to sign up, but it is free).

https://www.my5.tv/moto-gp-highlights/s ... sode-8-2-2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:16 pm 

Another for Moto GP here. Miles better than the business and celebrity circus that's F1.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:59 pm 

AndyB72 wrote:
I've given up on F1. We've moved over to MotoGP, Mel signed up to the BT sport app this year and it has been fantastic. In qualifying last week at Assen there was half a second between first and tenth place!!!!

100%. It's just a shame it isn't on BBC now as I keep forgetting to watch the highlights (ITV4 ?). You would never see Rossi and the like acting like Hamilton. I must make a point of watching Moto GP more often.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:13 am 

I only ever watch the F1 if there's nowt else on the telly, when it disappears from terrestrial telly for 2019 I'll not be one who mourns its loss to Sky.
Nowadays I reckon the World Rallycross on Freesports is about as good as anything motorsport on the box at the moment, can be a bit lacking in passing at times once the running order is kinda established but some of the car control is fantastic to watch. I used to go over to Croft to watch the Rallycross all the time in the late '80s early '90s but drifted away from it, reckon I might have to have a wander over that way again sometime to see how it is nowadays.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:46 am 

I guess some of it will be from to the way society has changed, have a Mum and Dad that lived through a war (getting put in a Spitfire or Lancaster at 18 is going to be character building) or that had to struggle every day to put food on the table is likely to ensure that you are going to get a 'can do' attitude towards life, as life has become 'easier' (this isn't to say that some people don't have it tough) people get used to what they have and start to expect it rather than appreciate it, once you are in an environment where everything is provided for you (plus you can also afford anything you want) and you don't really come across people that say no to you how long would it be before you got into that mindset of 'entitlement' to win / do what you want / see small matters as unfair and throw your toys out of the pram, it doesn't make it right but it is going to happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:23 pm 

I think most of this can be chalked up to the gradual change in the power structure in F1, mostly during the tenure of Bernie E. There's a whole SLEW of differences now than back in the day which have caused this behavior to become more pervasive. Here's a couple....
1) YOUNG drivers. Some of these guys are just so immature because, well, they're immature. Putting a 19 year old in an F1 car does not immediately make him mature.
2) The MONEY involved. There is SO much money at stake. These guys are coddled because they are huge money makers, for themselves and for their teams. They have body guards and protection all the time because they are an enormous insurance risk if they get injured off the track. Protect the golden goose at any cost. These guys are "responsible" for the well being and paychecks of literally thousands of people behind these cars.
3) The combination of money and youth is never going to look good. Give a kid $10 and he's going to spend it on candy. Give him $1million and he isn't going to spend it on low risk securities and municipal bonds.
4) The amount of money to field an F1 team has made it impossible to privateer anymore. Serious money means serious business means no mucking about (see "responsible" above) and no doing this for just the fun of it. Plus, the drivers don't have a lot of skin the game anymore. They aren't an integral part of the development and construction team and could really care less what is going on unless the car doesn't "go" enough.
5) The spread of blame. Generally, professional athletes don't like to take any sort of blame for something that went wrong. That's nothing new. Take the crashes this weekend at Silverstone. Raikkonen was PROBABLY to blame for the first crash, but god forbid Hamilton took any blame for it. Not only that, but he continued to blame the car, even when the computers and his team were telling him nothing was wrong, and the car was CLEARLY going better than the 10 or so cars he passed on his way back up. I forget who was involved in the next crash, but one of the drivers on race radio just kept talking about how "he understeered into me." Right. Again, accepting blame is not something most athletes do with grace. Sprinkle in some youth and immaturity and bingo.
I do think it's a mistake to label them as such pu**ies. Sure they aren't racing three different series in one weekend, getting hammered every Friday night and strapping in on Saturday, but they do feel the pressure of the BILLIONS of dollars, the millions of fans, the thousands of jobs, all of it, bearing down on them. And again, most of them are just kids. We can't expect to pile all of this on them and then blast them when they act like a child. "Holy crap, who knew the toddler was going to throw a tantrum???" Look at some of the older drivers like Raikkonen and Alonso. You don't hear too much about their tantrums. Just that much more maturity.
Watch the race, watch the podium, then turn it off. And then gripe about it on Wednesday on a forum when you really should be working (that's me!).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:39 pm 
Site Admin

A well argued case LIMini1380.

Welcome to the forum.

It still makes me heave though. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:52 pm 

LIMini1380 wrote:
I think most of this can be chalked up to the gradual change in the power structure in F1, mostly during the tenure of Bernie E. There's a whole SLEW of differences now than back in the day which have caused this behavior to become more pervasive. Here's a couple....
1) YOUNG drivers. Some of these guys are just so immature because, well, they're immature. Putting a 19 year old in an F1 car does not immediately make him mature.
2) The MONEY involved. There is SO much money at stake. These guys are coddled because they are huge money makers, for themselves and for their teams. They have body guards and protection all the time because they are an enormous insurance risk if they get injured off the track. Protect the golden goose at any cost. These guys are "responsible" for the well being and paychecks of literally thousands of people behind these cars.
3) The combination of money and youth is never going to look good. Give a kid $10 and he's going to spend it on candy. Give him $1million and he isn't going to spend it on low risk securities and municipal bonds.
4) The amount of money to field an F1 team has made it impossible to privateer anymore. Serious money means serious business means no mucking about (see "responsible" above) and no doing this for just the fun of it. Plus, the drivers don't have a lot of skin the game anymore. They aren't an integral part of the development and construction team and could really care less what is going on unless the car doesn't "go" enough.
5) The spread of blame. Generally, professional athletes don't like to take any sort of blame for something that went wrong. That's nothing new. Take the crashes this weekend at Silverstone. Raikkonen was PROBABLY to blame for the first crash, but god forbid Hamilton took any blame for it. Not only that, but he continued to blame the car, even when the computers and his team were telling him nothing was wrong, and the car was CLEARLY going better than the 10 or so cars he passed on his way back up. I forget who was involved in the next crash, but one of the drivers on race radio just kept talking about how "he understeered into me." Right. Again, accepting blame is not something most athletes do with grace. Sprinkle in some youth and immaturity and bingo.
I do think it's a mistake to label them as such pu**ies. Sure they aren't racing three different series in one weekend, getting hammered every Friday night and strapping in on Saturday, but they do feel the pressure of the BILLIONS of dollars, the millions of fans, the thousands of jobs, all of it, bearing down on them. And again, most of them are just kids. We can't expect to pile all of this on them and then blast them when they act like a child. "Holy crap, who knew the toddler was going to throw a tantrum???" Look at some of the older drivers like Raikkonen and Alonso. You don't hear too much about their tantrums. Just that much more maturity.
Watch the race, watch the podium, then turn it off. And then gripe about it on Wednesday on a forum when you really should be working (that's me!).

Great post. Enjoyed reading that! 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:13 pm 

mk1coopers wrote:
I guess some of it will be from to the way society has changed, have a Mum and Dad that lived through a war (getting put in a Spitfire or Lancaster at 18 is going to be character building) or that had to struggle every day to put food on the table is likely to ensure that you are going to get a 'can do' attitude towards life, as life has become 'easier' (this isn't to say that some people don't have it tough) people get used to what they have and start to expect it rather than appreciate it, once you are in an environment where everything is provided for you (plus you can also afford anything you want) and you don't really come across people that say no to you how long would it be before you got into that mindset of 'entitlement' to win / do what you want / see small matters as unfair and throw your toys out of the pram, it doesn't make it right but it is going to happen.

Related to this is the modern argument that the 50s was so bland and conformist and blah blah blah. Yeah, well, you go off and fight in a war that brutal. Of course all those young men came home and wanted nothing more than a nice quiet life of not getting shot at or having to shoot anyone else.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:00 pm 

Yeah, too right, It wont be long before it compulsary to have x percent of GBLT competitors.....in F1 or in fact any motor sport, all in touch with their Karma and feelings....like the existing competitors

BTW nothing against any one thats GBLT, its the making things compulsary and sterile that pisses me off......and bores me....

Sorry, rant is now over :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next